General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ride without a motorcycle license?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
Well im just a little bit of a rebel. I have never admitted this before but, I have been riding since 1975 with no endorsement. And I drove a semi truck in 1980 with no endorsement for a year or so. I always had insurance and since 1981 had my CDL but never added the MC to my license. Been pulled over quite a few times and even got tickets for other things but not having an endorsement was not one of them. Totaled my bike two years ago and the CHP checked my license and didn't say a word about it. My insurance paid me for my bike in full maybe even a little to much IMHO. Oh well now I have spilled the beans. Oh and BTW there are plenty of insurance companies that will insure you without a problem. P.S. I don't like the government at all. And some of my closest riding buddies are cops.
I find this very hard to believe. When you insure a motorcycle or car the first thing the insurance company does is check your abstract to see what kind of a driver you are, how long you have been driving a motorcycle, car, list of tickets, demerit points and accidents, etc. If you do not have a motorcycle endorsement they are not going to insure you to drive a motorcycle. This is their bread and butter and standard procedure and how they determine what rate to charge you. They can also save themselves $$$ but simply not having to pay a dime on a claim if your license has expired or been revoked - they are not required to pay in either case. Have you ever filled out an application for insurance, the first question on every form is your drivers license number.

Last edited by fat_tony; 04-27-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:36 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
I find this very hard to believe. When you insure a motorcycle or car the first thing the insurance company does is check your abstract to see what kind of a driver you are, how long you have been driving a motorcycle, car, list of tickets, demerit points and accidents, etc. If you do not have a motorcycle endorsement they are not going to insure you to drive a motorcycle. This is their bread and butter and standard procedure and how they determine what rate to charge you. They can also save themselves $$$ but simply not having to pay a dime on a claim if your license has expired or been revoked - they are not required to pay in either case. Have you ever filled out an application for insurance, the first question on every form is your drivers license number.
Believe what you want. Call them yourself and ask. I had Safeco insurance at the time. I always get my insurance over the phone. They ask how long I have been riding and I tell them. It's that friggen simple. I don't know where you are from but that's how it works for me here. I have a valid CDL and have to keep a somewhat clean record for my employers insurance to cover me.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:41 PM
JBourquin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. Had insurance through both Geico and Progressive without ever having an endorsement. All they ask is how long you've been riding and license number. Registered all 3 bikes in NY without the endorsement also..

Old 04-29-2011, 03:55 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member

They legally don't have to pay out on a claim (riding your bike), even though you have been paying premiums if you are not licensed to ride it. If it is an expensive claim you can count on them checking. Read the fine print.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:54 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fat_tony
They legally don't have to pay out on a claim (riding your bike), even though you have been paying premiums if you are not licensed to ride it. If it is an expensive claim you can count on them checking. Read the fine print.
Yeah well they paid my claim so WTF? I think you are just blowing smoke for some stupid reason unknown. I argued with them over the payout for over a week. if they had a loop hole they would have used it. You are so smart why don't you explain it.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:12 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
Yeah well they paid my claim so WTF? I think you are just blowing smoke for some stupid reason unknown. I argued with them over the payout for over a week. if they had a loop hole they would have used it. You are so smart why don't you explain it.
Not blowing smoke up anyone's ***. From my own personal experience every time I've switched insurance companies I've had to fill out lots of forms which I've had to sign and they have obtained an abstract directly from the DMV (I sign a form to give them permission to do this) from my drivers license going back 7 years. They also review your abstract every 2 years if you stay with the same company and put your rates up if you have more than two speeding tickets in a two year period. When I got my first bike I had not taken my test yet for my motorcycle endorsement and they would not insure me. Finally I got them to insure my bike with them telling me there would be no payout on an accident until I got this. I did this as I wanted it covered for theft for the two weeks I had to wait to get my license. Even the fine print on the forms say you must be legally licensed to drive for the policy to cover you on the road and any false statements on the forms will forfeit payout in a claim. Without a record of your driving how does your insurance company determine how much to charge you? Insurance rates are set by risk factor.
+1 IMO anyone saying they got a payout from their insurance company without having a valid license is BSing. They might do this for say theft, where the rider was not a factor in the claim, but certainly not a traffic accident.

Last edited by fat_tony; 06-05-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:22 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

i rode without one for a year or so,got pulled over,$250 fine which was waved if i got my licence within 28 days

Old 05-01-2011, 09:43 AM
hdmike1969
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i never have...didnt want tickets or possibly raised insurance rates and all that bs...
and ive seen first hand what happens when a tow truck shows up to impound a bike...
it was leaned against that tow arm and wrapped with chains...arffff i feel nauseous

Old 05-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

In Ohio you get a ticket and big fine. The bike gets towed.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:53 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by oct1949
No,,, but I had my endorsement several yrs without a bike though.
+1 lol

Quick Reply: Anyone ride without a motorcycle license?