General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ride without a motorcycle license?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 04:35 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I rode for several years without one. But then they didn't exist then either. Once California started requiring them we had to take the tests (both written and driving) to make you legal. Got mine when required.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I rode for years and years without one and the worst that ever happened was I had to push my Ninja over a hill so the N.C. Trooper would not see me ride off. His suggestion. Also I was riding a Honda Shadow that I had just bought from Louisiana to Mississippi with no tag since I had just bought it and some ***** dropped a dime on me and called the highway patrol. I know this because I saw the trooper pull up next to them and the guy rolled his window down and pointed at me. The trooper pulled me over and I showed him the paperwork and we chatted for a while about the bike, he was a rider to, and he never said a word about the endorsement or lack of the whole time. Florida passed a law that they can seize your bike if they catch you so I went and got one then. Have not heard of them actually taking anybody's bike yet but it will happen one day.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:30 AM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been riding (street) since I was 19. Got my first M endorsement on my DL last year. I am 40. Just pure laziness on my part at first. Then just had been doing it so long I just never really thought about it. In all those years I have never been pulled over on a bike. But you also have to take into consideration that for about the first 10 years I never left my county on two wheels.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:35 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

just get the "m" endorsement on ur license and be done with it.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a cop friend tell me they can tow your bike and give you a $500 ticket in Illinois.....but he said the best way out of it is (if you have a permit) I was riding with my friends and I live the farthest.....they turned off about a mile ago.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:09 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Without an endorsement on your license you cannot get insurance on your bike. Without liability insurance it is a $1100 fine and 5 points plus you bike gets towed and impounded which will cost $300. Without a M endorsement your bike also gets towed and impounded and it's 5 points and $300. With a stop you'll get both tickets and loose 10 points which means your drivers license is suspended for 6 months and when you are again allowed to drive a car or bike your insurance rates to to the level of a drunk driver. IMO not worth it.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:58 PM
JBourquin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Without an endorsement on your license you cannot get insurance on your bike. Without liability insurance it is a $1100 fine and 5 points plus you bike gets towed and impounded which will cost $300. Without a M endorsement your bike also gets towed and impounded and it's 5 points and $300. With a stop you'll get both tickets and loose 10 points which means your drivers license is suspended for 6 months and when you are again allowed to drive a car or bike your insurance rates to to the level of a drunk driver. IMO not worth it.
Depends on the state. I've had full coverage on every bike I've ever owned. Just got my license about 2yrs ago.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Fat Tony is talking about Canada.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:13 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FenceSC
Yes, I rode without a motorcycle license for about 6 months. That was 1979 and I was still young and stupid. Lucky I never got pulled over.

Today I have my endorsement but I'm old and stupid now.

Same here, and older and stupider!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:28 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well im just a little bit of a rebel. I have never admitted this before but, I have been riding since 1975 with no endorsement. And I drove a semi truck in 1980 with no endorsement for a year or so. I always had insurance and since 1981 had my CDL but never added the MC to my license. Been pulled over quite a few times and even got tickets for other things but not having an endorsement was not one of them. Totaled my bike two years ago and the CHP checked my license and didn't say a word about it. My insurance paid me for my bike in full maybe even a little to much IMHO. Oh well now I have spilled the beans. Oh and BTW there are plenty of insurance companies that will insure you without a problem. P.S. I don't like the government at all. And some of my closest riding buddies are cops.

Quick Reply: Anyone ride without a motorcycle license?