General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying an '08 RoadKing, but....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:28 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

No issues with my King and Ultra. As a matter of fact I think the thottle response if better. Also the cruise is dead nuts on.

I would not use a demo that that a bunch a yahoos have beat to death as your basis. Your personal bike will have all of the quirks adjusted and work out.

Good Luck on you deal hope it works out.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:32 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

if you are dead set on being bothered by this issues dont buy
50 million cars and 100 of thousands of bikes use this technology with no problems
but if you see an issue now it will be in your head always

Old 04-22-2011, 06:45 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Well, I wanted this bike because it is in "just uncrated" condition,7K miles, tons of chrome accessories,race tuned, 103" w/cams & Rhineharts. and priced at 14K. This bike was done RIGHT, and is the nicest one I have looked at so far. All of the TBW bikes I have ridden have that "vague" throttle feeling,including this one... I just feel that cables respond quicker & more "true" feeling than TBW...
OK, I see where you're coming from, though the worked-over motor might be a deal-breaker for me, and could be the source of some of the problem. A hesitation would drive me crazy, as would a lengthy project to isolate and maybe improve it, let alone eliminate it. And those who can't visualize this as a problem, well, you'd have trouble trying to explain it to them.

$14K doesn't make it all that compelling (my '09 FXDC was $9K a year ago) but, if you really like the bike, then you might want to just get used to the lag.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:57 PM
ajay450
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 08 Electra Glide Standard with TBW and couldn't tell the difference from cable throttles. Never had a problem with them.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 PM
jlfabian
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a 2010 RK in the Nashville Craigslist for sale by owner. He's asking $15.5K. I don't remember the exact mileage, but it was under 1500. This sounds like a good deal for what appears to be a stock bike. If I didn't have my current '09 King, I would be on the way to Nashville tomorrow.

I do not experience any hesitation in throttle response either from a standing start or when rolling-on. Like someone else pointed out, it might be possible the work done on that bike may have had an impact. I recommend taking it to an indy and spending a few bucks having it checked out. Better to be out a few benji's than a bunch and not be happy. Me, I am very satisfied with my Road King's performance. It is not a rice rocket (I've had those as well), and I'm glad it's not.