General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying an '08 RoadKing, but....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most will tell you that there is a slight "lag" with TBW, but it is nothing to be concerned w/. My 03 carbed dyna does respond slightly quicker than my 08 roadking, Recently put a pcv on the 08 and it has made a difference or at least seems to I guess it is up to you, but all things considered it seems silly to let this bother you about the bike. If it does take a pass it is after all your money

Old 04-22-2011, 10:36 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vet767
I guess it is up to you, but all things considered it seems silly to let this bother you about the bike. If it does take a pass it is after all your money
yeh, if it's something you wanna mess with (and it sounds like you want the bike) buy it. If it bothers you or you have one of those gut feeling things, don't.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

I didn't notice the TBW lag when I bought my new 2010 FLHTK, but since I've been reading about it on this forum I do feel what you mean, I think for you guys who hammer it off the line and ride her hard from stop lite to stop lite, than it might be an issue. Myself, I just take it easy thought the first couple of gears, it's a 900lb Hog.
The cruise control definately works better on the TBW bikes.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:30 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

I have throttle cables and have ridden 3 of my friends bikes with TBW...I too have felt the "lag" on 2 of the bikes (not the same feeling as a cable) the 3rd one felt okay....I guess it's is hit or miss, but I'm sure that can be corrected as other have mentioned.

If you like the bike, then get it

Old 04-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that by going from a Road King to a Wide Glide you're also dropping about 150lbs, so that will affect responsiveness as well. The motor still has to overcome that extra mass before you feel it starting to move.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:52 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Read some where just last week on a product thats supposed to take it out, seems like its was around $150,, thinking it was a HD mod.????

Son has it on his new St G, and hasn't noticed it being a issue...

Seems like the 08's had a issue and MoCo came out with a download, would think the 09;s and later would have it from the factory..

Old 04-22-2011, 11:52 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Read some where just last week on a product thats supposed to take it out, seems like its was around $150,, thinking it was a HD mod.????

Son has it on his new St G, and hasn't noticed it being a issue...

Seems like the 08's had a issue and MoCo came out with a download, would think the 09;s and later would have it from the factory..

Old 04-22-2011, 12:17 PM
schv
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was shopping for my current bike, I purposely didn't consider any bike with TBW, but not over concerns about any lag. I just don't trust them. I'd rather have a mechanical connection between my wrist and the throttle valve. What happens if the throttle somehow sticks open? Is the throttle solenoid powerful enough to unstick it? I don't know so I passed on several killer deals before I found mine.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:40 PM
1hellbent
Road Captain

Some people are just naturally more sensitive to subtle differences. I test rode an RK and felt a difference right away between it and my Fatboy. I don’t know if what I felt was so much of a lag per se, but there was a definite difference in feeling from turning a potentiometer versus the push/pull of a cable assembly.

One thing I do like about it is the real cruise control function, pretty cool. I think it’s one of those things that you eventually adapt yourself to. And if you are getting it for road trips, then it becomes even less of an issue versus some that you are hopping around town with, constantly taking off from signal lights and such.

Would you be keeping your Fatboy as well? Sounds like nice deal to me, I’d go for it and work with the idiosyncrasy.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:25 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

TBW definitely feels different than cable throttle controls. I have noticed it on my '08 FLTR but it is something you get used to. Would I prefer cables? Yes but it's not something that would stop me from buying an otherwise nice bike. The decision is yours.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying an '08 RoadKing, but....