General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question riding from Boston to Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:29 AM
Rideordie13
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question riding from Boston to Los Angeles

Late may to early june I'm going to be taking a road trip on my sportster starting in Boston and going to visit my sister in Seattle and brother in Los Angeles. Anyone sone that route before that can give me some advice? Which route to take, certain interstates to avoid, things to bring? Thanks.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:45 AM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done that route but backwards... and not on a bike so it doesn't really count. How much time do you have for this trip? I would love to ride through Montana...

And Go Lakers!

Old 04-21-2011, 05:38 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

Lucky!

Old 04-21-2011, 06:04 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know how much time, but I know I don't have that much. If I didn't have to work any more, I'd love to do the same.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Rideordie13
Novice

I have about 2 weeks to float. Hopefully nothing changes from now to then. I heard it's a lot of riding for even 2 weeks. I guess it is knowing that there is a definite end to the trip. I really want to do it. 7 thousand miles in 2 weeks though. Is it possible?

Old 04-21-2011, 07:29 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rideordie13
I have about 2 weeks to float. Hopefully nothing changes from now to then. I heard it's a lot of riding for even 2 weeks. I guess it is knowing that there is a definite end to the trip. I really want to do it. 7 thousand miles in 2 weeks though. Is it possible?
14 500 miles days in a row? I just did a couple of 650+ days and it took me about 11-12 ours, with gas stops and a short lunch break. So lets says 8-9 hours a day of riding from gas stop to gas stop for 14 straight days - either you'll get used to it after a few days or you'll develop serious back problems. Day 2 or 3 might be the hardest, when you discover things like how your thigh muscles get really sore from holding your knees in for a whole day, etc.

So when I said I'd like to do the same, I didn't mean in 14 days - more like 30. In 14 days you might as well ride around your home state, because you wouldn't have time to enjoy visiting anywhere.

If I had 14 days and was in Boston, I'd aim south and ride to the Florida keys and back.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:05 AM
GSHOG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

7,000 miles in 14 days is certainly doable, but I'm not sure I would do it on a Sportster. I rode from Atlanta to Seattle and back (about 5,600 miles) last year in 9 days (four days out and five back) but was on an Ultra Classic. There is a big difference in the comfort level between the two bikes. The major reason I moved up to the Ultra was that I was riding more often and longer distances and was not comfortable on my last bike which was a Dyna Wide Glide. But, that is just my personal preference.
You can do 500 miles in a day and avoid interstates but it will take you a lot longer. That is the disadvantage. The nice thing is you get to enjoy the countryside and small towns you will pass through.
A must have is a good rain suit. I only hit hard rain twice on my ride but was thankful for the rain suit. If you don't have one and don't like riding in the rain without one you might be stuck on the side of the road if you encounter any bad weather.
I would tell you to go for it, enjoy the ride and be safe.
Steve.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:13 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

I agree with Brenn. You could probably do your planned trip in the time given, however, you would be on the super slabs a lot and with little time to stop n smell the roses.
As much as I dig a long haul, I like even more to comfortably putt down back roads and take in the local sites, sounds and flavor of backwoods towns.
Roll down to the panhandle of Fla. and trace the gulf down to the Keys...if you haven't yet. A great ride and dig the cocomo lifestyle.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:18 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

You may be a lot younger than me but I wouldn't even consider a trip like that with that distance and that time frame on a sporster. And I love the sportster.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:29 AM
bigdady
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a sportster ? you need 3 weeks. or you will not see anything. you will be constantly pushing your self to keep riding inorder to knock down the miles. you will not enjoy it if you have to keep pushing

Quick Reply: Question riding from Boston to Los Angeles