General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question riding from Boston to Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:33 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Just get 2 sundowner seats and lash them together and you will be fine. Of course they will be the thickness of a single badlander when you get back. BTW, 500 miles/day on a Sporty is brutal.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:42 AM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can afford it, fly to the west coast, rent a bike and ride between the 2 cities, enjoy more time with your sister and brother, then fly home. The riding on the left coast is so much more enjoyable than you will ever see on 7000 miles of highway that you have to travel just getting there.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The only advice I would add is to NOT wear your Celtics shirt in LA. The other thing is don't leave the bike parked curbside on the street unattended for long periods of time.

Enjoy the journey because that is what it's all about.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:46 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

on a sportsterrrrrr....

jesus H christ. good luck man.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Hope you have a windshield and an updated seat. Doing that on a Sporty is a young mans game. Oh yeah, an extra week would help. It's defiinitely doable, the ride of your life for sure.
All highway to make time, which kind of blows.
Pick up 70 to 44 to 40 to LA.
PCH (slow and scenic) or 5 to Seattle, 94/90 back to Boston
Good Luck with that man!

Old 04-21-2011, 09:07 AM
redmonster13
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did Santa Fe to Dallas in one shot on the WG and I wouldnt do it again. Take the advice from the guy who said to fly and rent.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:14 AM
CJinNH
Cruiser

Another thought, ride out and fly back (have bike shipped)...you can say you drove cross country....but I bet when it's time to head home you'll be dreading the thought of having to ride all the way across the world...plus you can spend more time puttering. I checked into shipping a bike from MIami to Boston area and it was around $700, so maybe betwee the flight and shipping you could do it for under $2k.

Just a thought, I think if I was to go that far I'd have to invest in a shield...and a heavier bike.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:29 AM
JR-Boston
Tourer

I did a very similar road trip in a cage 10 years ago; Boston to LA (via Phoenix), then up to Seattle. Hit Phoenix in 3.5 days from Boston, half day to LA, and one full day (18 hours) from LA to Seattle up I-5. You gotta get thru the cities before the morning rush, then you're fine, but I don't think you could match these times on a bike/Sportster. I loved my Sportster, but it just wasn't a touring machine. And my touring bike, comfy as it is, isn't a cage.

From Boston I went I-90/I-84, to I-81 south, to I-40 west. I detoured off I-40 at Flagstaff AZ for beers in Phoenix, but I-40 continues on toward LA. I stopped in hotels for the night in Virginia and Oklahoma City before reaching Phoenix, LA, and Seattle where I stayed with family/friends. It was a great road trip designed for speed, not scenery.

If you want to do the full loop, I-90 will run you straight back to Boston all the way from Seattle.

JR

Last edited by JR-Boston; 04-21-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Spindrifter
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SleeplessinVegas
If you can afford it, fly to the west coast, rent a bike and ride between the 2 cities, enjoy more time with your sister and brother, then fly home. The riding on the left coast is so much more enjoyable than you will ever see on 7000 miles of highway that you have to travel just getting there.

Best idea right there. Rent a cushy touring bike and make a nice slow ride down the coast......

Old 04-21-2011, 10:29 AM
mswmn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
You may be a lot younger than me but I wouldn't even consider a trip like that with that distance and that time frame on a sporster. And I love the sportster.

Quick Reply: Question riding from Boston to Los Angeles