General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster for 1st Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM
HogMan349
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster for 1st Bike?

I'm a new guy here and I've read some old threads about beginner bikes, but I thought I'd get some active posters' opinions on my situation.

I have no experience with motorcycles (I probably haven't even ridden a bicycle in probably 15 years) but I want to learn to ride. I've decided to take the local MSF course as a start, just to make sure it's something I enjoy.

Having said that, I've already started considering beginner bikes. I'm about 6'0 and 275, so I'm a bigger guy. My gut (no pun intended) tells me to go with a smaller used Yamaha V-Star 650 or a Honda Shadow 750 just because it'll be more forgiving if I get loose with the throttle while learning and because I won't be so upset if/when I take a spill.

But, I'm really interested in an 883 Sportster, even though it's a little pricier and packs more of a punch. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:38 PM
fordaith
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in the same boat as you not too long ago. I bought a used 05 XL1200C. Didn't have a problem with it. Just don't let it beat you.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:38 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a gently used rice burner and get some miles under your belt. When you have some level of mastery, sell the used bike for what you have in it, and step up to a Harley. You won't be out anything but gas and insurance on the beater.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member

Take the class and do a self assessment of your skills. Get the bile you want based on that.

I took the MSF course a year before getting my bike. I was a "natural," so I went and got what I wanted, a 2009 Night Train.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:44 PM
rdb1976
Road Master

I was in your boat about 3 weeks ago. Underpowered "starter bike" or Big Twin? I went down to the H-D Dealer and test rode an 883 and a Softail Custom. Neither were out of my realm of control, so I decided just to get the bike that I want and give it the proper respect it deserves.

You will hear from both sides of the fence on this topic, but it all boils down to what you yourself as an individual are comfortable with. Some people can handle the bigger bikes, some need less of a powerplant to get their skills up. It's all about you.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:51 PM
HogMan349
Novice

Thanks for all the responses. And yeah, I think I just need to do an honest self-assessment after the MSF like you guys mentioned and go from there as far as the specific bike.

Each person's different, and I like hearing input from others who've been in my shoes.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:54 PM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i say ex the 883. grab a used 1200. its plenty powerful to keep your riding skills at bay for a long time.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:58 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default No

You left out the "reality factor"

You're a big guy so how's riding around on a little bike gonna tell you anything about the realities of riding a big bike?

Those 883's really are small IMHO. The big twins have twice as much HP which will be important for you if you want to get out of the way of the cager that's texting and eating a Big Mac at the same time and who, incidentally, may never see you no matter how big you are...

....good luk wid it...

Old 04-20-2011, 02:00 PM
MadMINI
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue. I wanted a Harley, but was just learning how to ride. I've been riding dirt for about 8 years, so I went with the HD. Sometimes I wish I got a beater for the first few months just to build my confidence, but man am I happy with my Harley!

Old 04-20-2011, 02:01 PM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member

I think your going to out grow the 883 in a hurry! You can probably pick up a used, Honda,Yamaha,Kawasaki or Suzuki for under $2k! Ride it,practice,practice,practice after taking the MSF class and when your comfortable,trade it or sell it and get yourself a Dyna or Softail!

Quick Reply: Sportster for 1st Bike?