General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster for 1st Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:46 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraEd
I'll never forget during my motorcycle training course last fall that I took with my brother in law.

I had already bought an 07 Superglide. We are outside at the class and during a break, my brother in law says " what size engine do you think all these bikes have?" I told him that they all seem to be between 200 to 250 cc's. So he says, "How many cc's is your Harley?" I told him 1,582 cc's.

You should have seen the look on his face!!

pretty much the same for me.. the weekend of riding the suzuki 250's was killin me knowing i had a fatty at home waiting on me once i got my license..

i was advised by two long time riders that said to forget about the small bike, ie sportster and get what you want and like. its way easy to learn on the bike you want then to buy something too small, lose money on it and then relearn riding the bigger bike that you really wanted to begin with. ..

so far its worked out for me.. and it had been 30 yrs since i was on any type of motorcycle..

Old 04-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Ripsher
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HogMan349
And yeah, make no bones about it. I realize I'm a big dude, which was part of my reason for bringing all this up. In a perfect world, I'd want a bike that's both big enough that's a comfortable fit (and I don't look like a "circus bear" on it), but that also is somewhat forgiving in the power/weight department for somebody who's new to riding.

With as dedicated as I usually am about practicing things, though, if I have to sacrifice one I'd probably lean toward getting a bigger more comfortable bike that I have to be more cautious with to start.

"Circus bear" man that made me laugh...

Old 04-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Another Young Sinner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything smaller than a 1200 I think you will get cramped up on. When I was 15 I started riding on a 1300. Rode metric for about 2 1/2 years and now I am on my Nightster. Has a lot more torque and is a lot more nimble. It is way more fun to ride. Just don't get a bike you won't be comfortable on.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:11 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My advise - take the MSF course then buy what you like. My mistake was going from a Honda to a Dyna to a Road King. It would have been much more economical to buy the RC from the get go. After you get your scooter spend some time on back roads, parking lots, etc., get to know the bike. I will probably get flamed for this - I like the Sportsters and seriously considered buying a new one. Thing is, a lot of Sporty owners (on the boards and locals), spend way too much time defending the fact that they do not ride a "girl's bike" or "budget entry bike". Had I bought a Sporty (same as the Dyna), I would have traded up to the RC sooner or later. Again, the Sportster is a fine scooter, just not for me (6'1", 225#).

Last edited by mmcbeat; 04-21-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:18 PM
harlanrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like yourself I had never rode in my life. Took the MSF course and bought a 07 Sportster 1200 low. The sales people told me that I would want something else especially since I wanted my wife to ride with me. I got lucky because Harley did the buy back and we now have a Softail Deluxe. I loved the Sportster for riding solo but the Softails are great for 2 up riding. I had no problem with the Sportster even though I had never rode a bike ever. Just depends on what your plans are. I would get the 1200 for sure if Iwas you.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:12 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jcallesano
i say ex the 883. grab a used 1200. its plenty powerful to keep your riding skills at bay for a long time.

a stock 1200 sporty will outrun a stock 96" any day of the week. It'll easily keep up with a 103 UP TO 100 mph any day of the week.
Those bigger bikes do have a smoother ride to them.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:28 AM
crazyanimal
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Just my opinion from someone who has exeprienced it. My very first bike was an 883L and at the time the bike was great to learn on but the moment I learned to ride, I was ready to get rid of the 883. I am five feet tall and if I felt small on my bike then you being taller will most definitely feel cramped. I could hardly wait to get rid of my sporty. It was too small, too loud, and rode too rough. I wasn't throwing a bunch of money into seats and shocks and those sorts of things because I knew I wasn't keeping it and putting money into it to not get on resale was crazy.

I traded up to a street bob and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself.

If you do really want a sporty, I agree, go 1200 custom. Taller bike, lots of power to keep you satisfied but I can be almost guaranteed you will to trade up before long. The 883 is also a very powerful bike but the power doesn't cover up the comfort issue.

Another thing to consider is the depreciation value of the sporties. I bought mine and 5 months later took it in to trade up and I lost $3000 off of it by just riding it off the lot. I had it for two years and when I traded up this year, I got $4000 for that bike from the dealer. So if you do buy, buy a cheap good working one that you won't be losing on when you choose to trade up in a year (which I am sure you will)