General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster for 1st Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:02 PM
HogMan349
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hommes
You left out the "reality factor"

You're a big guy so how's riding around on a little bike gonna tell you anything about the realities of riding a big bike?

Those 883's really are small IMHO. The big twins have twice as much HP which will be important for you if you want to get out of the way of the cager that's texting and eating a Big Mac at the same time and who, incidentally, may never see you no matter how big you are...

....good luk wid it...

Yeah, these are the kinds of things I haven't thought too much about.

Specifically, the physical size of the sportsters (883 and 1200) and the foreign bikes. I definitely don't want to be cramped up on a small bike. I probably need to just go get just a "comfort" feel for a few different bikes at the dealership after taking the class.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:05 PM
CJinNH
Cruiser

Each person can assess their own skill, I took the MSF last year and bought my Fatboy...no issues. I'm 5'10", about 225. Friggin love the bike, got plenty of get up and go and chugs fine 2 up.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:08 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default whoops...

Sorry, I misread...you didn't say you're headed toward a big bike but i guess I think you need one. At 275 on a 883 that circus bear look might emerge....

Ride slowly past a shop window so you can see how you look on one and then decide yourself......

Old 04-20-2011, 02:15 PM
KSims1868
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdb1976
I was in your boat about 3 weeks ago. Underpowered "starter bike" or Big Twin? I went down to the H-D Dealer and test rode an 883 and a Softail Custom. Neither were out of my realm of control, so I decided just to get the bike that I want and give it the proper respect it deserves.

You will hear from both sides of the fence on this topic, but it all boils down to what you yourself as an individual are comfortable with. Some people can handle the bigger bikes, some need less of a powerplant to get their skills up. It's all about you.
EXACTLY - very well put.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:16 PM
axel black
Road Captain

+1, what hommes said IS the point all others are talking about.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:16 PM
HogMan349
Novice

Originally Posted by hommes
Sorry, I misread...you didn't say you're headed toward a big bike but i guess I think you need one. At 275 on a 883 that circus bear look might emerge....

Ride slowly past a shop window so you can see how you look on one and then decide yourself......
Haha, well, that's definitely the kind of look I want to avoid. If I get a good feel for the class I may just jump into a used Dyna or Softail and spend quite a bit of time practicing in a parking lot to get my bearings.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:23 PM
nobler1050
Stage II

Get the Harley. If you go sportster I would suggest maybe the 1200 so you do not grow out of it too fast. However even with the 883 you can install the 1200 kit when your more comfortable. The most important thing for you most likely will be forward controls. I am 5'10 @ 240 and my girlfriends 883 with mid controls is a blast to drive but I feel cramped. I am sure it would be fine with forwards though.

As far as it being your first bike I see no problems with it, my first bike was a brand new 2006 street bob and I even used it to take the Maryland test. However I had previous experience with dirt bikes.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:25 PM
HogMan349
Novice

And yeah, make no bones about it. I realize I'm a big dude, which was part of my reason for bringing all this up. In a perfect world, I'd want a bike that's both big enough that's a comfortable fit (and I don't look like a "circus bear" on it), but that also is somewhat forgiving in the power/weight department for somebody who's new to riding.

With as dedicated as I usually am about practicing things, though, if I have to sacrifice one I'd probably lean toward getting a bigger more comfortable bike that I have to be more cautious with to start.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:52 PM
axel black
Road Captain

don't be afraid to look at used bikes. The heritage softail is one of the easist bikes to ride for a beginner. Or the road king, both are great first bikes and bikes that you will love for years to come.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Ockam
Tourer

Just my 2 cents...buy a used rice burner, like a Suzuki LS650 Boulevard, Kawasaki Eliminator, Honda Rebel.

So what if it is a little small for you. The whole point is to establish your skills and build your confidence for your first season.

What a lot of die hard Harley guys over look is that Sportsters are not beginner bikes, they are performance bikes. A 1200 is a fast machine with a twitch sensitive throttle. An 883 is smoother on the acceleration but still plenty fast and has significant power.

The deal is this, you are going to pay a lot more...in the realm of thousands of dollars for a used Harley and truthfully, you should buy something you won't worry about dropping or getting a dent in and something that won't put your *** on the fender if you yank the throttle too hard.

Then, after one season under your belt, when the 2012's come out (go in winter for the best deals) ride your starter bike over to the dealer, trade it or sell it outright, and get yourself any bike you want because you will have the fundamentals to handle them all.

Quick Reply: Sportster for 1st Bike?