General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Think" when your parking you bike.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts
Default "Think" when your parking you bike.

Went on a organized benefit cycle ride over the weekend. The ride ended up at bar where we were served a meal. When we got there, I parked my bike in normal bike fashion along the curb, not even close to any other bike. When I came out, the was a Sportster parked so close to my bike that my blood pressure did a quick rising.

Did a few things before I got on my bike and righted it a bit to get it off the jiffy stand. As I did so, I felt some resistance. I looked back to see this sportsters mirror digging into the side of the lid of my tour pak. Laid my bike back over to the left and had to start it and pull it away while still at a pretty good lean angle to the left. Then got off the bike to check things out. Here, the sportsters mirror was one of those with like jagged edges and it put a small gouge into my tour pak lid. Do you think at that minute the thought of running a key over this guys tank or kicking his bike over went through my mind? Well it did!!. Actually what I wish I did do was to just push his bike out in the running lane of traffic to get it out of my way and then just left.

Can believe how freakin stupid some guys are. Dont they realize when parking their bikes that when leaving it down on the stand that it is going to lean a good bit to the left. Cagers arent the only dumb asses around. We do have some real brain dead bikers amoung us.

Well, did some touch up yesterday and it turned out pretty decent but still po ed at this whole thing. And one thing for sure......the key mark on the guys tank certainly wouldnt have buffed out!!!!!

Old 04-20-2011, 07:46 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

You are right - there are a lot of morons out there and some of them are on two wheels. Can't say I think your keying his tank was the right thing to do though. If you'd have gone into the bar, found the owner of the bike, and busted his lip, I'd be fine with that, but not with keying his tank.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 AM
mech8251
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with rh.

But I'm sure you didn't lower yourself to actually key his tank...Although I'm sure it would have crossed my mind also

Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 AM
shoemaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The OP didn't key the tank.Reread the post.
As far as the situation went I probably would have left him a nice note explaining that this time he got off lucky and next time maybe someone else might not leave a note.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Some days you go out in the world and just bump into dumb azzes all day long...like swimming in the ocean and bumping into a shark. Not much you can do but try to stay clear of the idiots.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:59 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

No, I didnt key this idiots tank. Love to???? YEP!!! But wouldnt do something behind someones back. I do like the 'bust his lip' idea though.

crackercap
Road Master

There was probably no intention on his part that he did anything wrong, just some people go thru life in a fog....

StreetGlider57
Road Master

Ever since a friend of mine was "parked in", meaning that he could not right his bike back up without touching the cycle next to him, I've been very aware of not doing that. I think that How to Park a Motorcycle should be part of the learn to ride classes and part of the writen test to get the rider's licence. Afterall paralled parking a car is part of learning how to drive.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shoemaker
The OP didn't key the tank.Reread the post.
As far as the situation went I probably would have left him a nice note explaining that this time he got off lucky and next time maybe someone else might not leave a note.
I agree with you

Old 04-20-2011, 08:08 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Bike Nite A**hole!

At a local bike night I very carefully backed my bike into a car slot leaving enough room for two others to park their rides. As long as three share the spot there is always enough room for everyone to pull in and out whenever they want. YOU GUESSED IT! Some d***head pulls into the 4th spot and seals my fate. When dinner was done I went back out to leave and had to go back into the restaurant to find the a**wipe that blocked me in.
Oh well - live and learn! Now I don't back the bike into the spot as far and purposely block 1/2 the spots' area. Unless riding with other that respect your space you have to aggresively claim your own I guess.

Quick Reply: "Think" when your parking you bike.