General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mid controls or forward controls?I THINK IT'S ALL BEEN SAID!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:24 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anybody prefer mid controls over forward controls?

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes......The man has got it!!!!!!
ORIGINAL: slartibardfast

I prefer mids anyday. Forwards are cool, but they place the lower back into an un-natural curve, agravating any lower back trouble - even causing it. Also, I like to ride fairly hard - the attitude and balance of the bike can be dramatically changed/controlled by the pegs - even steered to a degree. Forwards are ok for cruising if that's your bag, but mids are a way more natural, balanced option. Anyone who's done any racing or race training would know that it's almost impossible to control a bike to the same degree with forward controls.
It all comes down to preference tho - if I liked forwards i'd use them despite what the science says......i just prefer mids.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss

I personally think that mid controls are better for "sport riding". I have had many bikes with mid controls, but I got a Harley to cruise, so mid controls are outta the question.
Exactly...

It's like purchasing almost anything,have to ask yourself what you want to do with it.

The Nightrain is my first HD and the specific model I wanted most,but with a history or riding more responsive bikes with mid controls and tighter steering (less rake) I was hesitant to take the leap and almost purchased a Superglide to get mids and slightly more responsive steering.

Nothing wrong with the Glides but it started to feel like a compromise to me.It became apparent that I don't need to carve turns and if I did,HD's in general aren't the bike to buy.

After multiple trips to the dealer and looking at the bikes I realized that if I bought the Superglide I'd end up being one of those guys wanting to move on to a different HD in a matter of months....

Buying cages is much easier....

BTW- great topic Fmshiner

Old 10-22-2006, 10:18 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks T3: I think you are on to something. I am not the bagger type, I appreciate the touring bikes alot and ride them quit often. I even enjoy forwards from time to time. But I chose to buy, after much consideration, a 1550 street bob with the larger cams, big bore screamin eagle engine, vance & hines pipes etc. It is a more sporty bike with a different type of balance. I would never put forwards on that bike. However I probably would want forwards on a Superglide. I am just not at that point in my riding that I would want that kind of bike.

I'm not knocking forward controls or the people who choose them. Nobody is right or wrong in this discussion. I just see the "sportier" bikes ie bob, nitetrain, etc, better suited to mids. Also, my body type, and style of riding is more suited to mids.

So it seems like there is a formula to it. From what I am gathering by the many great responses, the formula includes, 1.) type of bike 2.) riding style 3.)body type 3a.)height, 3b.weight And for some.....4.) vanity (how do I look with my feet forward?) lol

Do we all agree now?

ORIGINAL: T 3

ORIGINAL: anubisss

I personally think that mid controls are better for "sport riding". I have had many bikes with mid controls, but I got a Harley to cruise, so mid controls are outta the question.
Exactly...

It's like purchasing almost anything,have to ask yourself what you want to do with it.

The Nightrain is my first HD and the specific model I wanted most,but with a history or riding more responsive bikes with mid controls and tighter steering (less rake) I was hesitant to take the leap and almost purchased a Superglide to get mids and slightly more responsive steering.

Nothing wrong with the Glides but it started to feel like a compromise to me.It became apparent that I don't need to carve turns and if I did,HD's in general aren't the bike to buy.

After multiple trips to the dealer and looking at the bikes I realized that if I bought the Superglide I'd end up being one of those guys wanting to move on to a different HD in a matter of months....

Buying cages is much easier....

BTW- great topic Fmshiner

Old 10-23-2006, 02:07 AM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'2" and actual prefer the mid conrtols. I feel like I have more control over the bike. Just a personal thing. I would not mind some highway bars to strecth out from time to time, but I am not sure right now I'd want to ride like that 24/7.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:36 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Broken Leg Rider

I was passing through a pack of HA's once when a car swerved into us. These guys liked the laid back custom chopper forwards and Angel bars of the day. Half the bikes went down and I swerved through on my 67 Iron head with standard mid controls.

I wish all you forward control guys the best of luck when the $hit hits the fan.
BLR, I respect your opinion..good to hear you made it through your ordeal unharmed. But no need to wish us luck with the "when the $hit hits the fan". The bottom line is, every single one of us is risking our lives when we get on our motorcycles. If that car pulls out in front of you doing 50 and you make a direct hit, it doesn't matter what kind of controls you're using.
It's the nature of the beast. Motorcycling is inherently dangerous. If I was that concerned that I would choose mids over forwards based soley on the chance that they might help me in a tight squeeze...I think I might as well hang up my helmet.
To be honest, comfort is a very important part of how well one handles a motorcycle....at least in my experience. I'm certainly going to react more appropriately in a pinch if my mind isn't preoccupied with an issue of discomfort.

It's been said in this thread many times....to each his own. I'll stick to that..and I certainly won't tell anyone that they're wrong for choosing one over the other.

This topic comes up quite often in the motorcycle community...or at least in the cruiser segment of riders. It seems to me that the guys that ride with forwards do so because they're comfortable...that's it. They don't have a problem with what anyone chooses. But the guys with the mids are always telling the guys with forwards about how they can't control a bike as well...they can't get out of bad situations as easily...there's pressure on their lower back or behind, etc...the list goes on.... Meanwhile, they have the highway pegs because they still want to be able to stretch out and be comfortable. It seems to me that the guys with the mids have a bit of a complex. It's almost like a bisexual...they want the puhaaa...but every now and again, there's an urge for some pork sausage

Todd

Old 10-23-2006, 04:00 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

Is that why the pegs have been turning me on lately!!??
ORIGINAL: veniculum

It's almost like a bisexual...they want the puhaaa...but every now and again, there's an urge for some pork sausage

Todd

Old 10-23-2006, 01:07 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't think increased control during aggressive riding is a valid argument. I believe it's more of what you're used to. Within the performance capability of any Harley model, forward controls work just fine. They ain't sportbikes! I ride the **** out of mine and I can tell you right now, the limiting factor is NOT the forward controls. Any perceived difference is just that, perceived.

The comparison to sport or race bikes is unrealistic. They 'need' rear controls for the best performance. The bikes are FAR more capable.

The comparison to dirt bikes is silly. Kinda hard to do all that standing with forward controls??? We ain't jumping..............much.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:18 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

I disagree--the very fact that they are not built like a dirt bike is all the more reason I want the maximum amount of control. I have the bob just like you, upgraded to a 1550 with sthe screamin eagle, larger cams etc etc etc. It is 105 HP, that is pretty sporty. I have ridden with forwards and mids for years. In an emergency situation I have a much better chance of maneuvering out of it with mids. There is just no doubt about it. I know you dont like the "dirt bike" reference, but if they had the same control with forwards they would be built with them.

Your legs are the strongest muscle in you body. They can and should play a great part in your balance and control. My highway pegs are my forwards (for comfort, not for operation)

Old 10-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Repoman
Advanced

I see no problem with forward controls and agressive riding. Sport bikes dont use mid controls anyways they use rear sets. There is no way id ever add mids to my train, rear sets-thats something to think about!

I call BS on the safety issue too! I have been in many close situations and even hit a 4"x4" piece of wood about 3feet long and went over no problems with the forwards doing 50mph.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:54 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

You are making my point for me. The further back the controls, the more control you have. Just because you made it through one situation or more, doesn't mean you have the same control with forwards as with mids. There is no doubt that mids and rears have more control that is exactly why they are on dirt bikes and sport bikes. That doesnt't mean that you should not use forwards. If you like them use them. You shouldn't, however, deny an obvious fact just because you dont want to believe it.

Quick Reply: mid controls or forward controls?I THINK IT'S ALL BEEN SAID!!