General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mid controls or forward controls?I THINK IT'S ALL BEEN SAID!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:18 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anybody prefer mid controls over forward controls?

Craig: i guess you CAN stand on almost anything if you really want to. But, to stand with forwards you would have to use pressure on the bars. With mids I can just push my legs straight down and stand-no pressure on my mini apehangers.

The way I look at it is that the mids give me more control and more of a "connection to the bike" as FRED00 said. I can promise you that mids have saved me on many a fast turn. I think the foot pressure and the center of gravity are the reason there is more control. That way your legs take a more active role in controlling the bike and counterbalancing the turns. After years of motocross I cant give that up.

Then when I'm cruising and want to change positions I use my highway pegs. That way I get the best of both worlds and no sore tailbone. I like that variety of positions. With forwards I feel stuck in one position.

ORIGINAL: veniculum

I can't imagine riding with anything other than forwards. I'm about 6' and I sat on some superglides, road kings, and a fat boy. They all felt WAY too cramped for me.
I've heard people say that you can't lift yourself up with forwards (for bumps, etc)...that's just not true. I guess it depends on the size of the rider. I certainly can lift myself up with forwards.

Now the pain in the tailbone is definitely a problem with forwards....because all your weight is on your rear end. It's a no-brainer trade off for me. I'd much rather have a sore tailbone, than feel cramped.

Todd

Old 10-22-2006, 09:25 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It depends on the style of riding I'm doing. For laid back cruising, I prefer forward. For motocross or canyon carving I prefer mid controls. Since I don't motocross or carve anymore I would have to vote for Forward. To me it's a much more relaxed posture and doesn't invite agressive riding.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:36 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

You are so right whaap. Thats it! It doesnt invite agressive riding. I still have that little agressive streak in me. I guess I refuse to grow up! (at least that is what my wife tells me)
ORIGINAL: whaap

It depends on the style of riding I'm doing. For laid back cruising, I prefer forward. For motocross or canyon carving I prefer mid controls. Since I don't motocross or carve anymore I would have to vote for Forward. To me it's a much more relaxed posture and doesn't invite agressive riding.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:19 AM
ditch_dgr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had both in the past, I like the look of forward controls and had them on a Sportser for a long time. When I became a Motor Cycle safety instructor for the Navy (we use our bikes) I quckly discovered that it is too hard to do most if not all of the exercises without a mistake with them. I changed back to mid controls and it got much better. My preference was to add highway pegs along with the mid controls that way I could change positions. I have an Ultra now and one of the things it is taking a while to get used to is not having my feet under me, but I think I can adjust. Like someone else already said, I think it is a matter of preference.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:23 AM
mikec
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nope.......mids reminds me of my Yamaha.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:23 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

forwards !!

Old 10-22-2006, 02:27 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fmshiner

Craig: i guess you CAN stand on almost anything if you really want to. But, to stand with forwards you would have to use pressure on the bars. With mids I can just push my legs straight down and stand-no pressure on my mini apehangers.

The way I look at it is that the mids give me more control and more of a "connection to the bike" as FRED00 said. I can promise you that mids have saved me on many a fast turn. I think the foot pressure and the center of gravity are the reason there is more control. That way your legs take a more active role in controlling the bike and counterbalancing the turns. After years of motocross I cant give that up.

Then when I'm cruising and want to change positions I use my highway pegs. That way I get the best of both worlds and no sore tailbone. I like that variety of positions. With forwards I feel stuck in one position.

I can't imagine riding with anything other than forwards. I'm about 6' and I sat on some superglides, road kings, and a fat boy. They all felt WAY too cramped for me.
I've heard people say that you can't lift yourself up with forwards (for bumps, etc)...that's just not true. I guess it depends on the size of the rider. I certainly can lift myself up with forwards.

Now the pain in the tailbone is definitely a problem with forwards....because all your weight is on your rear end. It's a no-brainer trade off for me. I'd much rather have a sore tailbone, than feel cramped.

Todd
Get your names straight man

Once again...to each his own. I don't ride my harley in a manner that I would need mids to "save me in a fast turn". I make a point to not take turns fast. And on a wide glide, with the added fork rake, fast turns aren't really an issue anyway. I have more than enough control, and I feel way more connected to my bike with my feet forward...sitting 'in' my bike as opposed to on it. It's just more comfortable to me...simple as that...and even if every single rider on the planet told me otherwise, it's not going to change my opinion of comfort.

Bottom line is, I ride my harley for comfort..not to race around. If I want to ride hard and fast, I'll use the proper equipment and invest a couple grand on a second bike...one with a funny japanese name...one that doesn't come with forward controls or mid controls. I've owned them before, and will probably own one again. There's no denying that riding with your feet further back aids in controlability...when you're riding in a manner that requires more controlability...i.e. fast. At the slower paced speed I ride a harley (or any 'cruiser'... hence the word cruiser), I have all the controlability I need with my feet forward....

The truth is, it's an apples to oranges comparison. When you look at western style 'cowboys' riding their horses, they typically ride with their feet in a more forward position. On the reverse side, when you see a jockey riding, he's got his a$$ way up in the air, and his feet very far back....riding in a racing tuck. Nobody is comparing the western style cowboy to a jockey...so why would someone try to compare a (big twin) harley rider to someone on a sport bike? Apples to oranges as far as I'm concerned.

Todd

Old 10-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fmshiner

Todd
Anyone with forwards do this ?

When out on a somewhat empty long straight road I'll put my feet back on the passenger pegs and lean forward into sort of a sport bike position.(works well with drag bars--not so well with big ape hangers) and settle in for a few minutes...

Probably looks silly on a Softail,but if your doing around 80 it's a hoot,the bike cruises more effortlessly with the decreased wind resistance,for us no windshield guys it smooths things out for a few miles and it's a completely different position that transfers your weight to different parts of your body.

I've never felt the tailbone pain some of you mention when riding forwards even with my skinny a$$ on a Badlander seat,but I still like to try this position every once in a while as long as traffic's light.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:07 PM
springerGT
Road Master

Me.
Gt

Old 10-22-2006, 07:23 PM
JCPsr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After spending 30 plus years riding with either mids or rearsets. All I've got to say is forwards rock. I am 6'-2" so I don't know if that plays into it.

I can't even imagine putting forwards on my old bike (850 Norton Commando) which handled great for the technology of the time, but the Superglide took on a whole new personality with the forwards. Now I'm not talking about knee dragging corners, but for me the bike is much more stable and predictable in the turns now.

To each his own. I was told by a friend that forwards were great, but had my doubts because of my previous experiences. Now I'm a convert. At least with this bike.

Everyone is built different, so what works for one may be painful for another.
So, far I've changed my seat, handlebars and foot controls and am happy with all my decisions to date.

Quick Reply: mid controls or forward controls?I THINK IT'S ALL BEEN SAID!!