General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Isn't it funny...........gotta vent a bit

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 11:56 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Every charity event I know of is open to all brands and even people who don't ride. Harleys are rarely mentioned on the metric forum I belong to and I haven't noticed it on others I've occasionally visited.
Seems like the whole Harley vs. the rest issue exists within the H-D crowd.
>>Harley vs. the rest issue exists within the H-D crowd.<<

Right......Visit the Roadstar forum sometime....They even make their bikes into "Ultra Stars".

Old 04-19-2011, 09:10 AM
softailman1227
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to take jabs at my friends for riding metrics and other non-american stuff, but it's all in fun. Honestly I could care less what you ride and I'm just happy other's are experiencing the joy of riding and I ride with many other people who don't own HDs. I go on many poker runs and while there are some sport bikes there many are cruisers and HD. If someone wants to make jokes about doing some good charity work all I have to say is Karma's a bitch.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:56 AM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Harleys are a lifestyle, the others are transportation. In 50+ yrs of riding I have yet to see a Honda tattoo.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:08 AM
msog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 990rtracer
I don't belong to many boards but I do have a sport bike and read a bit here and there on a local to the area board that is mostly for sport bike types although there are guys like me with a Harley as well.
Any way seems like anytime they get a chance they are knocking are Harleys. Today there was a post there about a guy seeing multiple Harleys all day with bears on the back and there must a been some kinda charity thing going on. Then they all chime in there jokes, I fired back at them with how often do any kind of sport bikers have an event and give to charity? Not many that I have seen but just about any weekend in the year around here there is some sort of Harley ride with proceeds going somewhere good.

What do you all think?
I frequent that same board. More so than here, as a matter of fact. You've got to take it with a grain of salt, no different than any other weekly Harley bashing thread, although there are several that defend the toy run too.

And besides, in classic fashion, there are some comments in that thread that are worth a chuckle. :twofinger

Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Qdraw
Really? And what "sports" bike club sponsored these events? Just sayin... and if thats the case, good on them, i,d love to see it.
I don't know of any "sport bike" clubs. The only charity events I can think of sponsored by a Harley entity are the toy donation the dealer runs at Christmas and they did do an event to send care packages to soldiers.
I know that HOG has rides and gatherings, I don't know what charity benefits from them.
Most (maybe all) of the charity events I attend are for the charities. The people who organize them could be members of various organizations. Seems that ABATE is involved in quite a few.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:42 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,152 Likes on 12,213 Posts

Bikes are often judged by the riders. In the case of Harleys, people used to think of the Hells angels type scary biker. More recently Harleys are sometimes judged based on the so called "wanna be" biker who wears a suit by day and Bandana and chaps by weekend. Other brands, or types, certainly have their stigmas as well. Think "Squid" and what do you picture?

I recently purchased a new Ultra and you wouldn't believe the flak I received from the people I ride with. They couldn't imagine why I would go from a BMW GS to a "Hog". My explanation is that I choose the right tool for the right job. The BMW is a fine bike. But, imo, there is no finer machine for covering a lot of ground in comfort than the Ultra. As Peter Egan said in "Leanings" (highly recommended reading) buy the right bike for the map. In the case of a Harley Touring, it was bought because I chose a pretty big map, i.e. no limits.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:43 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I just tell them to call me in 10 yrs and see what kind of bike their riding them..

almost everyday day in the Newbie section we see, Don't know why I waited so long to get a HD and I can't take the sports bikes anymore, its killing my back

Old 04-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Daddy-O
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by piasspj
I know that HOG has rides and gatherings, I don't know what charity benefits from them.
Most of the open HOG events/rides (at least in my area) are to benefit local charities. As a matter of fact, I can't think of any ride where they asked for a donation that did not benefit a charity.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:45 PM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in a very similar boat. Most of the crap talkers are 17-18 and don't own a bike anyway so I don't bother to acknowledge it much any more.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Tinner Briman
Advanced

Originally Posted by aggro_jo
TUNDRA.
Pssst, pssst... you're not supposed to trump me like that, I already have a wife!

Quick Reply: Isn't it funny...........gotta vent a bit