General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protecting your lane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 09:00 PM
axel black
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just another socalled professional driving a 18 wheeler, tailgaiting and speeding. And then has to move into your lane because he cant stop. Seen it to many times.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:28 PM
bp_shooter123
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kowan
All you are trying to do is not encourage another to share your lane.
Ride too far on either side will encourage someone to pass you while still in your lane.

Smart riders will yield to the tank trying to squeeze by instead of finding out, skin and bone doesn't make great armor.
+1
Exactly my point.

Michael

Old 04-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The section of lane between the center line and the outer line and directly in front and behind me is mine no matter what I am driving or what state I am in. I am allowed to drive anywere within this space. No law against that. If I want to ride close to the center line that is my business. This includes when someone thinks they are in a bigger hurry then I am and they decide to try and share it with me to get by me.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:37 PM
mhern08
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nobody has the RIGHT to enter a lane unless it is SAFE to do so...i dont care where yer from!!

Old 04-16-2011, 09:41 PM
mhern08
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think hes trying to say to be as visible as possible while in your lane... yea okay... but dont ride where they cant see ya or you'll get your a** ran over. People just dont look nor do they care about other vehicles, especially motorcycles.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last year at the River Run while eating breakfast at the Aquarius before our trip home, our waitress asked if we'd heard about an accident?
We said no we hadn't.
She asked if there was a reason riders would ride right on the line.
I thought at first she meant near it and explained basically to keep cars/trucks from passing us sharing the lane.

She said two riders coming from opposite directions on a blind curve crashed and one would lose his leg. They both were right on the line.
I explained not only was is dangerous because of the slippery paint, but they gave themselves no safety cushion to react.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:05 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bp_shooter123
In recent years I've had folks tell me that this is considered aggressive driving and is frowned on. That it may entice road rage. Am I the only one who believes that protecting your lane or space from encroachment is a priority when it comes to safety?
Be aggressive. Be intimidating. It's your life.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Trex
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I must not understand whats being discused, sounds like some of you are saying that not allowing a car to share your lane next to you is being aggressive, if that is the case I'm an aggressive *******.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mhern08
Nobody has the RIGHT to enter a lane unless it is SAFE to do so...i dont care where yer from!!
Try telling that to people the think it is safe to lane split/lane share, while on a motorcycle. When traffic is slow they think that it is safer to squeez between cars etc to get to the front of the pack. They make excuses about over heating etc. Or they are worried about being sandwiched by someone coming up from behind. But then the cure for that is to keep a cushion in front of you so you can have a way out if needed.

Or how about them coming up along side of you ,using part of your lane, at a stop light???? They claim it is abotu safety but in all actuallity it is just about them not wanting to wait like everyone else.

California allows this type on nonsense for Motorcycle riders. I think they should allow it for cages also. Say a bike is in the far right side of the lane on a traffic backup or at a light, the cage shoudl beable to pull up along side the bike in the same lane.

I don't lane share with another bike ie ride tandem unless it is a friend and I have to comunicate with him. Then I fall back into a staggered formation so that I have my options just incase.

People think I am a tool because I would protect my lane (center line to outside line) while in the truck on my cage. They think I should have too move over slightly to allow them to share my lane to get around me in slower moving traffic. There is only one time were the law may state that I have to make room and that is for official vehicals such as Law enforcement with lights flashing or emergency vehicles with lights flashing. Then I pull over as far as obsticals will allow to give them plenty of room.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:22 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...........

Quick Reply: Protecting your lane?