General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protecting your lane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:08 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kowan
Worth repeating.
I agree totally.

I have had many cagers try to do stupid stuff squeeze in etc. I moved to block it a little and I yelled at them asking wtf were they thinking. They were like oh I thought i had room etc. I told them to have a little patience and respect. It got their attention.

I too shift my spot in the lane to increase my visibility to others, my vision etc. I do prefer the right side of the lane as dont trust cagers and have many drift across the line some and want a little cushion when approaching them.

If using every portion of the lane that I am in and have a legal right to and preventing idiots from crowding me is aggressive riding then so be it ticket me every time.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,322 Likes on 5,873 Posts

Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 AM
Fridge
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Lots of good comments. MSF teaches the best lane position is the one that is appropriate for that moment in time....in other words, it is constantly changing depending on road conditions, other traffic, intersections, curves, blind curves, weather, etc.

One caution about stopping in the middle of a lane. You may find yourself on a more slippery surface than in either the left or right side, due to fluid droppings from other vehicles.

A cycle is a motor vehicle, and like all others, is entitled to the full use of the lane. This also includes other motorcyclists. They do not have "the right" to pass you in your lane, but in some states you may give them permission to do so, by waving them by.

When a car approaches you from the rear, by moving into the left third of your lane, you force them to use proper passing. If they cut it too close, you have the whole center and right side of the lane to get out of their way. MSF calls that a "space cushion."
Good post. Covers everything I was told about lane position when learning.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:22 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
...Like the OP I was taught to control my lane and protect my position while demanding respect. That means I am here and give me room. I will not die over lane position or poorly chosen choices. I will analyze, anticipate, evade, survive. Then I will deal with the idiot that just tried to kill me by analyzing, anticipating, and doing what I think needs to be done if I choose. There are many ways to deal with idiots---the problem is not becoming an idiot doing it. I am also disgusted by the meek and weak.
+1...

A couple days ago I was riding into Baton Rouge on I-10, mid-morning, passing thru a construction zone on the east side of town. I was in no hurry, riding sensibly in the right lane, going at about 55 mph (posted speed limit 50 mph). A cage passes on the left at probably 70(+) mph, followed closely by an 18-wheeler hauling a load of lumber. Just about the time the big rig's rear wheels passed me, I saw the cage's brake lights flash -- don't know what prompted him to slow (maybe spotted a LEO?). Since the left side of his lane was lined with concrete barriers, the rig driver had the choice of running over the cage or swerving right (over me!) -- so in an instant that rig was in my lane. Fortunately for me, I had already shifted position to the right third of my lane, and there was enough clear and smooth right shoulder for me move over further and get out of his way without hard braking that could have put me at risk of getting rear-ended.

As for dealing with the idiot cager that started that sequence, he/she was long gone, probably never even realized the potential accident.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:23 AM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,690 Likes on 705 Posts

I protect my space, especially at a stop in the right lane where everybody thinks they can squeeze by that little motorcycle to turn right.

On freeways & 4 lanes its MY space until I see a blinker....then I will gladly give it up for someone who signals.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:43 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was born a country boy in Texas from Louisiana born parents. I know Baton rouge. Too many people there. As far as that idiot cager----it is like fishing ---sometimes they get away for now but there's always tomorrow.
Originally Posted by PPBART
+1...

A couple days ago I was riding into Baton Rouge on I-10, mid-morning, passing thru a construction zone on the east side of town. I was in no hurry, riding sensibly in the right lane, going at about 55 mph (posted speed limit 50 mph). A cage passes on the left at probably 70(+) mph, followed closely by an 18-wheeler hauling a load of lumber. Just about the time the big rig's rear wheels passed me, I saw the cage's brake lights flash -- don't know what prompted him to slow (maybe spotted a LEO?). Since the left side of his lane was lined with concrete barriers, the rig driver had the choice of running over the cage or swerving right (over me!) -- so in an instant that rig was in my lane. Fortunately for me, I had already shifted position to the right third of my lane, and there was enough clear and smooth right shoulder for me move over further and get out of his way without hard braking that could have put me at risk of getting rear-ended.

As for dealing with the idiot cager that started that sequence, he/she was long gone, probably never even realized the potential accident.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:01 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PPBART
+1...

A couple days ago I was riding into Baton Rouge on I-10, mid-morning, passing thru a construction zone on the east side of town. I was in no hurry, riding sensibly in the right lane, going at about 55 mph (posted speed limit 50 mph). A cage passes on the left at probably 70(+) mph, followed closely by an 18-wheeler hauling a load of lumber. .
They have lumber in LA.? Maybe I'm thinking logs.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:05 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
They have lumber in LA.? Maybe I'm thinking logs.
I got a good close-up look at the trailer(!) It was loaded with finished lumber (2/6, etc), nicely bundled and wrapped -- probably heading for some Home Depot or Lowes.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:08 AM
bp_shooter123
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skulltrainharley
I was taught to "command my position " when riding ..... call it what you like ... to me it means my *** is my own for another day ..... if the cage's don't like it well it will just have to go in my IN tray and i'll take a look later!.....
This is probably a better term then the one I used in the original post. Yes a car or truck can take the position if they so desire and I will give it up if the need arises.

What I will not do is leave an opening for them. Many drivers take this as an invitation to use my lane which leaves me less room to maneuver.

Michael

Last edited by bp_shooter123; 04-16-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:26 AM
FUJILICIOUS
Road Captain
Received 196 Likes on 108 Posts

I refer to it as lane dominance. It was mentioned earlier where it os situational. A rider should maintain lane dominance taking into account traffic conditions, etc....

Quick Reply: Protecting your lane?