General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protecting your lane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:53 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't think one can "protect one's lane".... in any contest between a bike and a car... the bike is going to come up "short"
What the OP describes, seems to me, is more of keeping the other vehicle operators AWARE of the bike/rider's presence.
Each vehicle occupies their lane... a bike might be "seen" as an empty spot, by another (passing) vehicle. a slow, but deliberate "weave" within the bike's lane, will present a view of the bike, and the movement, is more likely to attract a driver's attention, thn remaining in one (relative) position

Old 04-15-2011, 04:09 PM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was taught to "command my position " when riding ..... call it what you like ... to me it means my *** is my own for another day ..... if the cage's don't like it well it will just have to go in my IN tray and i'll take a look later!.....

Old 04-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts
Default hell yeah protect ya lane

I remember the first time I was sitting at a stoplight in the left third of the right lane and a cage squeezed in and almost hit me turning on red. I was pissed. So now I hold the bike in the right side blocking people from turning right next to me. That is not aggressive driving. That is a defensive response to others aggresion. I don't have to literally kill myself letting others take advantage of me.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:56 PM
fastruk
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RT750
I remember the first time I was sitting at a stoplight in the left third of the right lane and a cage squeezed in and almost hit me turning on red. I was pissed. So now I hold the bike in the right side blocking people from turning right next to me. That is not aggressive driving. That is a defensive response to others aggresion. I don't have to literally kill myself letting others take advantage of me.
I also am also offended when some chit for brains, while I am stopped waiting for a stoplit or stop sign, pulls up right next to me on the right side of my lane. On more than one occasion things have got ugly quick. I have always occupied the left third of my lane but now move over more to the middle at stoplites.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:27 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Lots of good comments. MSF teaches the best lane position is the one that is appropriate for that moment in time....in other words, it is constantly changing depending on road conditions, other traffic, intersections, curves, blind curves, weather, etc.

One caution about stopping in the middle of a lane. You may find yourself on a more slippery surface than in either the left or right side, due to fluid droppings from other vehicles.

A cycle is a motor vehicle, and like all others, is entitled to the full use of the lane. This also includes other motorcyclists. They do not have "the right" to pass you in your lane, but in some states you may give them permission to do so, by waving them by.

When a car approaches you from the rear, by moving into the left third of your lane, you force them to use proper passing. If they cut it too close, you have the whole center and right side of the lane to get out of their way. MSF calls that a "space cushion."

Old 04-15-2011, 08:57 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have had several discussions on this in the last few years. Like the OP I was taught to control my lane and protect my position while demanding respect. That means I am here and give me room. I will not die over lane position or poorly chosen choices. I will analyze, anticipate, evade, survive. Then I will deal with the idiot that just tried to kill me by analyzing, anticipating, and doing what I think needs to be done if I choose. There are many ways to deal with idiots---the problem is not becoming an idiot doing it. I am also disgusted by the meek and weak.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:38 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Some of this reminds me of the runover pedestrian that said, "But I was in the crosswalk".

just sayin

Old 04-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Lots of good comments. MSF teaches the best lane position is the one that is appropriate for that moment in time....in other words, it is constantly changing depending on road conditions, other traffic, intersections, curves, blind curves, weather, etc.

One caution about stopping in the middle of a lane. You may find yourself on a more slippery surface than in either the left or right side, due to fluid droppings from other vehicles.

A cycle is a motor vehicle, and like all others, is entitled to the full use of the lane. This also includes other motorcyclists. They do not have "the right" to pass you in your lane, but in some states you may give them permission to do so, by waving them by.

When a car approaches you from the rear, by moving into the left third of your lane, you force them to use proper passing. If they cut it too close, you have the whole center and right side of the lane to get out of their way. MSF calls that a "space cushion."
Worth repeating.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:30 AM
RK West
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBREW
Been riding a long time. Usually only ride on the side of the lane next to the yellow line, gives me a cushion of manuverability for the rest of my lane, and makes me more visable to oncoming traffic. If thats aggresive driving then I am an agressor. I always considered it was my lane when I'm there and I can use it however makes me feel safe and comfy.
I have not been riding a long time but the side next to the yellow line puts me pretty close to on coming traffic, which makes me a little uncomfortable.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:10 AM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
..... Motorcycle vs cage - the cage will always win.
ALMOST always.

My friend's bagger went out from under him one morning on the way to breakfast (unmarked road construction debris) and hit a toyota. He gathered up his scuffed-up leathers and went and got his other bike and continued on to breakfast. The driver of the toyota left in an ambulance.

Back OT, I don't know if I call it "protecting my lane", but I try to make everybody aware that it's occupied. But I tend to move away from other people rather than hang around protecting a spot alongside of them.

Quick Reply: Protecting your lane?