General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't get Choppers

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guy at work had one of those types of AC on his shovel years ago.
He'd come in with his pants black from backfires through it.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:15 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
I guy at work had one of those types of AC on his shovel years ago.
He'd come in with his pants black from backfires through it.
he should of started with black pants or got his bike tuned better ...

Old 06-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He knew nothing about turning a wrench. I offered to do a carb rebuild for him, but he said he wanted a SE carb to replace the SS.
He got the bike from an uncle who just fired it up after sitting for years with old gas still in it.

He rode it in one night with the rear rotor glowing red. No BS. He had tried to adjust the chain and his wheel was mis-aligned and brakes dragging the whole 20 miles he rode in.

He wouldn't let me try to help him.

We would see him actually stomping the shifter down to shift while riding...

He finally sold it. I'm sure he thought HDs were junk.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:32 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so many out there like that ....
I'm no law enforcement cheerleader, but I think we need Tool Police to conduct some stratigic search and seisure ...

Old 06-18-2011, 06:11 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
so many out there like that ....
I'm no law enforcement cheerleader, but I think we need Tool Police to conduct some stratigic search and seisure ...

That's the bleeding truth , like a gun some people have no business around them .

Old 06-18-2011, 06:51 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Stock crank is 45 lbs alone then add rods , barrels ect.
5" wheels are quite a bit lighter.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:25 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
5" wheels are quite a bit lighter.
S&S or Truett & Osborn ? I'm partial to the T&O wheels you can get them for stock weights down to 19 lbs and you balance to your specific motor combo and desired performance curve , They take a bit more work but I think they are much easier to work with that way . Got a set of T&O Torque monster shovel wheels ( 32 instead of 45lbs ) I'm going to be setting up in another 93" shovel sometime in the future , curious to see the difference in power curves compaired to the S&S based 93" I'm running already .

Old 06-18-2011, 07:41 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a pair of S&S 4-5/8" Stroke flywheels for an IH Sporty years ago and weighed each flywheel on the bathroom scale without shafts....Each S&S flywheel was 1-lb lighter than stock factory wheels....Two less pounds of weight will reduce low-end torque but will assist with faster RPM's...

The B-T's have always had a torque advantange off-idle but the Sporty's scream going thru the traps....Just a hunch, flywheel weight makes a difference in a short distance....

Old 06-18-2011, 07:53 PM
jwlehman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think most readers understand what the OP was referring to with the term "Chopper", but the extended forks are not what defines a Chopper. Won't even get into the discussion of "to each their own"...that's been discussed to death on here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopper_%28motorcycle%29

Old 06-18-2011, 08:07 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
S&S or Truett & Osborn ? I'm partial to the T&O wheels you can get them for stock weights down to 19 lbs and you balance to your specific motor combo and desired performance curve , They take a bit more work but I think they are much easier to work with that way . Got a set of T&O Torque monster shovel wheels ( 32 instead of 45lbs ) I'm going to be setting up in another 93" shovel sometime in the future , curious to see the difference in power curves compaired to the S&S based 93" I'm running already .
There used to be an old guy around here that machined his own flywheels from train wheel stock. Very heavy, for sidecar rigs and heavy tourers. Lot's of hillbilly voodoo stuff like burying the rough forgings in the ground to "age" them. I've always had good luck with the older S&S stuff, but I know people that swear by T&O as well. Most of the old names were pretty good. This engine is all S&S. Rods, wheels, pistons and 3 5/8" cylinders. These particular ones were some very early examples from 1985-86. I used an S&S cam as well. Less lift than the Andrews C I had used in my 92" (before the Sidewinder cylinders) but much easier to kick start. You can't really see them in this picture, but I have external drains on the primary side. The big cylinders end up cutting away the stock case drains.

Not nearly as bad on pistons as I thought it would be. Not much skirt on those 5" jobs and piston speed is very high. This will only be the third set in 25 years.

Quick Reply: I don't get Choppers