General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile service and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 PM
big_e_walrus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're handy at all it's pretty easy to do. Buy a manual,tools and some supplies that you save by doing it yourself and get to know your scoot.
Dropping it at the dealership and picking it up when it's done is good too.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:02 AM
jazzy jack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SAve the bucks$$n do it at home.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that the first service includes more than just changing fluids.

You're supposed to check the torque of the critical fasteners (listed in the service manual) and other things on the bike to ensure nothing has come loose or gone out of adjustment, which things sometimes do on a new bike.

I suggest you consider purchasing a service manual and consider doing your own servicing as long as you feel comfortable doing so. You'll save a lot of money in the long run and become more familiar/connected with your bike. If you don't feel comfortable doing any service or doing more complicated service, find a dealer or an independent shop that you trust. Cost is always a consideration but I feel that getting a quality job performed should be the first consideration. If you can find a shop that does what you feel is quality work for the lowest fees, then go there.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:56 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,230 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris9982
Keep in mind that the first service includes more than just changing fluids.

You're supposed to check the torque of the critical fasteners (listed in the service manual) and other things on the bike to ensure nothing has come loose or gone out of adjustment, which things sometimes do on a new bike.

I suggest you consider purchasing a service manual and consider doing your own servicing as long as you feel comfortable doing so. You'll save a lot of money in the long run and become more familiar/connected with your bike. If you don't feel comfortable doing any service or doing more complicated service, find a dealer or an independent shop that you trust. Cost is always a consideration but I feel that getting a quality job performed should be the first consideration. If you can find a shop that does what you feel is quality work for the lowest fees, then go there.

Hope this helps.
Exactly why I do it myself,quality service ,no scratches or dings.Not overfilled or underfilled & should I overfill I will take some out instead of just leaving it like the dealer does.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:17 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I bought my 2011 Street Glide a couple of weeks ago and I'll hit 1,000 miles very soon. I've changed fluids myself on other bikes and it's simple. But since this is a BRAND NEW bike, I'm tempted to have the dealer do the 1,000 miles service and probably no others. I think it's $275.

I dunno, though. I can save a crapload by just changing the fluids myself. I'm just not sure about checking other things at the 1,000 interval.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SgtThump
I bought my 2011 Street Glide a couple of weeks ago and I'll hit 1,000 miles very soon. I've changed fluids myself on other bikes and it's simple. But since this is a BRAND NEW bike, I'm tempted to have the dealer do the 1,000 miles service and probably no others. I think it's $275.

I dunno, though. I can save a crapload by just changing the fluids myself. I'm just not sure about checking other things at the 1,000 interval.
The other things to check like the fasteners are not that bad. I did my 1K service and used the service manual as a check list. Everything I checked was OK.

A service manual is probably $60 or so. As long as you have sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, and a torque wrench, you should be fine. I bought the HD oil filter wrench with the notch for the crank sensor. I probably could have gotten the filter off without it but with the filter wrench I know I can remove it. You'll need some Torx sockets to remove things like the clutch cover. Eventually I bought both sockets and t-handle Torx tools as they are more convenient to use on some of the fasteners.

Depending on how you like to work, you may need a torque wrench in both foot-pounds and inch-pounds. I torqued the drain plugs to spec as well as the clutch cover.

You should be able to save $200 or so of the $275 by doing it yourself. Plus as others have stated, you'll know everything is done correctly and you can do it on your schedule without having to drop off and retrieve your bike.

Just keep all your receipts and records of your service so you can document what you did and when (date/mileage). If you wanted, ask other customers that use your dealer or even the dealer service manager if they have any issues doing warranty work on owner serviced bikes. Hopefully you'll never need to use the warranty.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain

One more thing...you should think about the drain plug and clutch cover seal. I replace mine each time I do a service to help ensure they don't leak.

A number of people buy o-rings for the drain plugs in bulk. HD offers a service kit with three o-rings (one for each drain plug) and a new clutch cover seal all in one kit. That's what I've been using and it works for me.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:46 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I do my own and take a pic of the speedo, bike, oil/filter, service manual, tools and do a written log with the items needing checking and the result of each check.

No manufacturer in the US can require that they do the periodic services unless the do it for free. Google Magnuson-Moss warranty act. It's a good read.

Notice the two sizes torque wrenches and the check list? This was the 5K service.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:48 PM
UnoLocoMoFo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on taking mine in for the initial 1k service and I was planning on switching fluids to AMSoil. Are dealerships usually okay with this, or do they refuse service if you don't use MOCO fluids?

Old 04-15-2011, 03:49 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Dealer has nothing to do with what you use. It is your bike not theirs.

Quick Reply: 1000 mile service and warranty