General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jump starting a bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:53 PM
pt4u2nv
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jump starting a bike

Have a 113" S & S motor that will not start if temps are under 60 degrees. Used a Battery charger with a 100 amp start mode on it and it fired right up. Is it detrimental to use a start mode with that amperage to jump start a motorcycle? I have asked several people in the know and am getting stories from it will fry the electronics, surprised it did not blow the bulbs to it won't hurt a thing. Any thoughts or expert advice on whether I should use this method in cooler weather or not.

Thought I would ask this in general chat as it might help someone else HD or not in jump starting a difficult bike.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Fridge
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just make sure the ignition is off when you hook the thing up and you should be fine.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:04 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

You need a permanent solution though...

Old 04-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,904 Likes on 19,365 Posts

If your connections are correct and tight I see no reason you couldn't "Hot Jump" your scooter. But, that's not a fix for the source of the problem. You might try the following.

1. I would be checking the CCA ( Cold Cranking Amps ) on the Battrey with a "Load Tester" to see if it living up to it's rating. It should be marked somewhere on the battery.
2. Be sure that all of your connections are clean and secure. Even a minimally loose connectiion can cause loss of cranking capability.
3. You don't state what motor you're running but there are a number of "High Torque" starters available which could be the soultion to your starting trouble.
113" inches is a lot of motor .... do you have compression releases?
Good Luck Brother.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:06 PM
pt4u2nv
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
If your connections are correct and tight I see no reason you couldn't "Hot Jump" your scooter. But, that's not a fix for the source of the problem. You might try the following.

1. I would be checking the CCA ( Cold Cranking Amps ) on the Battrey with a "Load Tester" to see if it living up to it's rating. It should be marked somewhere on the battery.
2. Be sure that all of your connections are clean and secure. Even a minimally loose connectiion can cause loss of cranking capability.
3. You don't state what motor you're running but there are a number of "High Torque" starters available which could be the soultion to your starting trouble.
113" inches is a lot of motor .... do you have compression releases?
Good Luck Brother.

Went over all connections and just bought a 310 CCA battery. Started right up with new battery but temp was 60 degrees so not sure if it was cool enough to really see if that solved the problem. Yes, I am running electronic compresion releases. Not sure what the rating is on the starter but it was replaced last year with what the indy said was a high torque starter. Hopefully bumping the battery up will solve any future problems. Still have some concerns over the 100 amp boost.....it really spins the motor over fast and starts it immediately . But..... the owner where I bought the battery still tells me it will fry the battery and the electronic ignition if I continue to use the 100 amp boost.

Don't get me wrong I have no intentions of using this any more than necessay but it is nice to know it will fire the motor if I need it. Just don't want to toast anything if it is not kosher to use it. Just sayn'

Old 04-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts
Default oil too thick?

Maybe your oil is too thick. What you runnin?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:44 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you take a chance on burning something up electrically. Do you have compression releases on it?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts
Default Already asked and answered

Asked in post 4
Answered in post 5

Originally Posted by 46u
Yes you take a chance on burning something up electrically. Do you have compression releases on it?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:47 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I doubt it'll hurt anything.
100 amps is the maximum the tender is capable of producing, not what the bike is actually drawing.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:35 AM
BBBSS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it safe to jump start a motorcycle off a car? Cause my car battery is around 950 Cold Cranking Amps. Anytime I jump something, I do it with my motor running, so my alternator is pushing up to another 100amps out when loaded down with a dead or weak battery being jumped.

The system will draw what it needs, as long as your using a 12 volt jumper, you can hook 1,000 amp booster to it. It won't hurt the bikes electronics. Its no different than hooking a bigger battery to it like you just did. Only thing that might not like it is the weak battery as its now charging at a high rate. May boil the battery or cause other problems internally in the battery depending on if the battery has problems where its putting out low voltage, probably cause it to vent some explosive fumes so don't make it spark. The bike itself will be fine though.

Last edited by BBBSS; 04-14-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Jump starting a bike