General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice buying first bike....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011 | 02:30 PM
woodthecrab
|
Novice
Default need advice buying first bike....

New to the forums. Have been looking for a first bike for over 12 months now. I'm a deliberate guy, but my delays have also been $ related. Most of the guys in my neighborhood ride and I'd like to join the fun. I'm 40 buying my first bike, though, I've wanted a Harley for a long time.

I've decided to heed the advice of my neighbors and forgo a sportster. No offense to anyone, but I'm told I'll outgrow it quickly and I just assume buy the bike I like to start. I did think about the Nightster briefly.

I really like the street bob and bobber style bikes in general. I have an opportunity to buy a very sharp tastefully modified 06 with 4K miles for $8k. The bike is sharp and would require no immediate modifications for my tastes. I'd rather not spend this much, but I know this is a better than fair price as I have been shopping for awhile. I also know that this bike has the 88ci engine and not the current 96ci.

Recently, I've found a '89 Heritage Softail restored to look like a street bob. It's a nice bike in the pics, though I have not seen it in person yet. Better yet, it can be had for under $6k. Maybe even as low as $5k. The seller is motivated. It has 35K miles, and the owner insists it runs great and needs nothing.

I'm somewhat torn about the decision. I like both bikes. I expect to be a moderate to light rider in terms of mileage. I'm wondering what experienced Harley owners think of the idea of the risks/rewards of the older bike. Or should I just spend a bit more and go with the newer ride?

Appreciate your thoughts on the subject. BTW,I have taken the rider safety course in PA and I'm not intimidated by either bike, as I have test driven both dynas and softtails.

Old 04-12-2011 | 02:43 PM
k&j eglide
Tourer

As you seem to favor the Streetbob style, why settle for something "restored to look like a Streetbob"? For a fact, while the '89 may be a nice bike, it's still 22 years old. As you are 40 and buying your first motorcycle, I'd bet you didn't grow up around motorcycles and may not currently possess the mechanical skills to deal with an older bike. Find something '07 or newer with a 6 speed/ 96" powertrain. In this economy, with some diligence on your part, you should be able to find a Streetbob in the 9K or less range.

Old 04-12-2011 | 02:45 PM
oct1949
Club Member

I personally wouldn't want a heavily modified bike, I want to ride, not work on one all the time.

Not knowing either bike, plus I don't know how much they've been mod-ed it'd be really hard to say without seeing them/ talking to owners..

The Evo's are a great motor, slower than the TC's but can be improved easy.
The TC's have proven to be great also.. the 88's only weakness is the cam tennisioners, but most changed them out by 20k or so, either gear cams or the new 96 Hyd system.

some still love the carbs and some wouldn't have anything but the FI..

At least Ur right on the sporty.. most don't keep them very long or at least wish they could afford or had a bigger bike.

Old 04-12-2011 | 02:55 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

I had a carbed Evo motor, Heritage Classic, before buying my 08. The only reason I bought the 08 is I wanted more of a tourer than the HC and decided I had the coin to buy new. My "older" bike never did give me any problems.

I would buy what I could easily afford. This is a "toy" purchase. Don't go into debt or spend more than you want to. If it breaks down so what! If you can't afford to fix it, park it till you can afford it. There are some great deals out there right now, and I think it is going to get even better for the buyers. (I wish it wasn't so!)

Old 04-12-2011 | 02:55 PM
Stash905
Road Captain

I would go with the 06. The older bike may be okay, but you are not saving that much $$.
Also, don't get caught up in the "must be a TC96 with 6 speed" fascination. The TC 88 and 5 speed is plenty and also not as hot running as the 96. Do not shy away from a good deal on a TC88 bike because you think the TC96 is so much better. It is not. And, you really don't need a 6th gear. Not to say a good deal on a 96 should be shied away from either, just use common sense.

Old 04-12-2011 | 03:18 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by woodthecrab
New to the forums. Have been looking for a first bike for over 12 months now. I'm a deliberate guy, but my delays have also been $ related. Most of the guys in my neighborhood ride and I'd like to join the fun. I'm 40 buying my first bike, though, I've wanted a Harley for a long time.

I've decided to heed the advice of my neighbors and forgo a sportster. No offense to anyone, but I'm told I'll outgrow it quickly and I just assume buy the bike I like to start. I did think about the Nightster briefly.

I really like the street bob and bobber style bikes in general. I have an opportunity to buy a very sharp tastefully modified 06 with 4K miles for $8k. The bike is sharp and would require no immediate modifications for my tastes. I'd rather not spend this much, but I know this is a better than fair price as I have been shopping for awhile. I also know that this bike has the 88ci engine and not the current 96ci.

Recently, I've found a '89 Heritage Softail restored to look like a street bob. It's a nice bike in the pics, though I have not seen it in person yet. Better yet, it can be had for under $6k. Maybe even as low as $5k. The seller is motivated. It has 35K miles, and the owner insists it runs great and needs nothing.

I'm somewhat torn about the decision. I like both bikes. I expect to be a moderate to light rider in terms of mileage. I'm wondering what experienced Harley owners think of the idea of the risks/rewards of the older bike. Or should I just spend a bit more and go with the newer ride?

Appreciate your thoughts on the subject. BTW,I have taken the rider safety course in PA and I'm not intimidated by either bike, as I have test driven both dynas and softtails.

Can I ask you why you think you'll outgrow a sportster so quick?

You have to remember as well you're just starting and a dyna is a fairly large bike for a beginner.

Old 04-12-2011 | 03:30 PM
ak47dennis
Cruiser

Originally Posted by woodthecrab

The sportys are cool, your neighbors correct about "out growing it " thats why there always some many for sale. Also you will take a ball breaking when hanging out with your bros over brews. Hey why you riding the wifes bike or when you getting a big boy bike. I dig the nightster & 48 and and would buy one as a second bike.

Old 04-12-2011 | 03:42 PM
gacoptrainer
Road Captain
Default Agree

Originally Posted by ak47dennis
The sportys are cool, your neighbors correct about "out growing it " thats why there always some many for sale. Also you will take a ball breaking when hanging out with your bros over brews. Hey why you riding the wifes bike or when you getting a big boy bike. I dig the nightster & 48 and and would buy one as a second bike.
I'm gonna have to agree with this one. My neighbors talked me out of a sporty for the same reasons. MANY told me to start with at least a Dyna. One dealer told me to go no less than a bagger. My first Harley was a Fatbob which I LOVED, though soon realized the dealer was right. 9 months later I got an Electra Glide Standard then 16 months and 20,000 miles later got the bike of my dreams as shown below. My 2011 Sunglow Merlot Street Glide.

Old 04-12-2011 | 03:49 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned

Get the SB because if you get a sporty you will always want to trade up.

Old 04-12-2011 | 03:54 PM
Len
Road Captain

uh . .um . . wait another 12 months . . and, then decide. . nah, just kidding - go with the newer one for $8k. IMO

Quick Reply: need advice buying first bike....