General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Affes :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:22 PM
CBRAV0810
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Affes :(

So im deployed to beautiful afghanistan and i find out about the AFFES program. After working my own deals back in Georgia, and hawaii which is my duty station with some pretty decent success i was excited to find out about this program. I had done some research on this board and most people seemed to be pleased.

I just recieved quotes today and let me tell you im extremely disappointed. If this quote is anything indicative of what other people think is a "great" deal its laughable. First off saying MSRP is 13,453 on a 12,999 bike. I dont quite get that. I could break this quote down line by line but basically the total came out to 13,873 with the 3 year extended warranty and a security system. Plus im responsible for state tax wherever i register the bike. The same bike shipped directly to HI is, 14672.

Either people have **** poor negotiating skills or this program is a joke.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:34 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,537 Posts

i found the same thing when i was in iraq back in 03/04. basically the only difference between the bike i could buy at a dealer and the aafes bike was for the same price, i got 2 years extended on the warranty. but, i could not roll the sales tax/registration into the loan and would have to pay that out of pocket back home.

it really wasn't a big deal since i had already bought the bike before i deployed, i just happened to come across the new car sales program while i was there and was curious as to how much i got 'screwed'..... needless to say, i felt i didn't.

i have also heard some problems people were having with delivery, pickup, dealer attitudes with warranty, etc. so all in all, i felt pretty good.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:12 AM
CBRAV0810
Cruiser

Yeah, sorry about the rant. I was just extremely disappointed that AAFES seems to be another screwball dealer. I guess i should be used to it. Its very common for auto dealers etc to attempt to screw over people in the armed services. I just figured that since its thrue the exchange it would have some sort of controls placed on it. Going thrue the bill i see that basically they just rearange where the money is comming from, slap it on at the end and say here you go. When you factor in that your responsible for sales tax when registering the bike, I in fact think that you will pay more for the bike thrue them than a HD dealer.

Once again just disappointed since i know there are many people out there that have been overcharged for bikes thinking they were being taken care of.

My suggestion to any fellow members of the service deployed and currently looking at this system, do a lot of research first back home. Use the HD dealer locator for your area, call/email those dealers. See if they will give you a quote, im sure they will work with you, at least thats been my experience. Dont just take for granted this system is actually there to help you. If it didnt make dollars it wouldnt make sense.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:48 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

AAFES Exchange New Car Sales (ENCS) is a retailer, not a dealer. The difference in price I paid going through ENCS just offset the cost of having the bike shipped to Korea. When you're stationed overseas they are the only game in town, not like they have any competition. Yes, you have to pay out of pocket for tax and registration to the state you go through if you pick it up there. One thing about being overseas, I haven't paid any taxes, and registation here was only $5.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:48 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought I was the only one that could do the math. Even when you do get a good deal, it's nothing that would make me wanna stand up and dance a little jig. My local dealer back home has better deals on their Jeep Wranglers than what AAFES can do.

If I were you, I'd save up some deployment money and take someone's baby out from under them. There are people having hard times and there are TONS of deals out there to be had on bikes barely broken in.

Now, I'm sure I'll be flamed for being a low-balling scum, but hey, I'm the one with the cash and they're the one needing it. It's not an insult to have discipline to save some money and to be looking for a bargain.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:46 PM
BullK9
Cruiser

Agreed. I just came back from Iraq about a month ago and I had the same experience as you. I got a better deal with my local dealer. They let me put money down over the net and the bike was waiting for me when I got home. I ordered about it 6 weeks before I returned home and all accessories and extras I wanted were also installed before I got home too.

Good luck man... and thanks for your service out there.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:53 PM
WUNKMONKMAN
6th Gear

I just bought my Iron here on Oahu. You pay an arm and a leg b/c it's HI and you can't really get around it. I shopped at every dealer on the island and all gave the same quotes and same military discounts. But no matter what you do here, it's going to be shipping, assembly, and state inspections and taxes. The one good thing is that they all come from the same distribution center here so ordering what you want isn't a problem. They're all military-friendly and are very willing to work with you.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:41 PM
donter
6th Gear

hi guys, I lurk here and don't often chime in...but.... back in 86, while stationed in germany, I bought an 87 heritage softail, $8499.00, when i get back to pick it up an identicle heritage sitting next to it was somewhere over 10,500... i had to pay sales tax, but i guess the lady at the dmv felt sorry for me and only charged me a tax for $4800.00, plus the dealer threw in t-shirts and riding glasses...after the breakin maintenance , I rode it to fla and then on to louisiana, sold it after 114,600 miles for $8500

Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 PM
jwlehman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've shopped in a AAFES exchange lately you won't notice any deals there either. AAFES does not offer any major discounts on items they sell. The only advantage is no sales tax, and that catches up to you if you're buying a bike or car.

I remember years ago, the exchanges used to have big electronic sales for stereo systems and televisions. If you happened to be in Okinawa during that sale you could get a fantastic deal on some high end gear....I don't believe they do that any longer either. It sounds corny, but AAFES aint what it used to be