General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headphones while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:14 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a good thread on the topic: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-question.html

I used the whitehorse setup with the boostaroo. I love it and its nice n loud. I personally have always hated earbuds ever aside from riding.

I got a set of Sena SMH10 bluetooth intercoms from rocketmoto. I heard good reviews on them and I wanted to be able to talk to my mrs at times. I haven't had a chance to try them yet when riding (darn rain)

If the senas work as I hope, I will prolly be selling my boostaroo and helmet speakers.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:20 AM
AFHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbizzle
I currently use the skull candy ones too, but only on the highway, not in town. I too agree that it is a little unsafe, however, I know my riding ability and I know it does not hinder me in any way. I'm interested in the dre beats that I'm seeing all over the place these days.
Save your money, I have the dre beats, and the Skull Candy ones sound just as good. Dre beats are overrated and overpriced.

(back on topic)
My headphones are for the gym... Don't ride with music.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:00 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mtinner
Have never understand why music was so important to some people while riding.
Are you suppose to understand? Isn't it the same thing like people that don't understand why riders wear or don't wear a helmet?

Just another difference of opinion.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mtinner
Have never understand why music was so important to some people while riding.
Ever ride for days at a stretch? Or maybe next to somebody with straight pipes? Or had deafening wind noise from helmet straps?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Cruiser

I finally found a document on the state of Michigan website that confirms headphones are legal to use while riding.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...e_203934_7.pdf

It is only an issue if they claim you failed to yield to an emergency vehicle due to the distraction of the headphones. I guess if I did get pulled over I could just admit to not yielding because I'm stupid. There is no law that says you cant drive if your stupid, and I see proof of that every day.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Dissociative
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i use ear buds like the stock IPOD ones....for 2 reasons.

1- they give me half azz ear protection from the wind....i can't stand the noise over 45mph....its those or plugs...

2- music at a LOW volume to enhance the ride....but never so loud i can't hear my pipes or my own toot of my horn...i have no issues hearing cars or whatever as long as i don't crank it...

now friends have the total seal foam buds where you can't hear squat but the tunes while they are in.....those make me feel all floaty and make me second guess my balance and also make me nervous about not hearing anything else.....so no on those.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:57 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have 5 senses...might as well do away with hearing when on a motorcycle. Not as important as touch and taste on the highway. While you're at it, put on blinders, or at least one eye patch. Vision and hearing are over-rated. Especially when there are 30 year old southern rock songs to be heard for the 1,000th time.

Last edited by warrconn; 04-20-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:32 PM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by warrconn
You have 5 senses...might as well do away with hearing when on a motorcycle. Not as important as touch and taste on the highway. While you're at it, put on blinders, or at least one eye patch. Vision and hearing are over-rated. Especially when there are 30 year old southern rock songs to be heard for the 1,000th time.
Yey, Mr. Judgmental is here...

Old 04-20-2011, 11:37 PM
kountry
Road Master

I do one ear on my freeway commute nothing for anything else

Old 04-21-2011, 04:35 PM
sctdixon
Intermediate

I use Bose earbuds. They sound great, have good bass, and don't fall out. They fit inside my full face helmet and stay in my ears when I ride without a helmet.

Quick Reply: Headphones while riding?