General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on wire harness for FXB

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Doc Danielz
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on wire harness for FXB

I got a new wire harness for my 82 FXB Strugis,and it is colored coded which is a good thing,but I am confused on one wire.The orange wire that comes from the handle bars both sides down to the main harness show they connect all together then the two orange wires out of the harness go to the areas they need to be connected.To me it looks like they are a source of constant power when the key is on.Is this true?I have everything else hook up to the proper connections,I am just worried it will short out and burn up my new harness.The way it looks on the diagram the orange wires all connect into one plug and leaves as two ,one to the accessory and stop/tail light.HELP!!! me out Brother Riders.It will be highly appreciated.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:47 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know why you need new wires, but I think the best bet would be to trace each wire back to its original location. Even copper gets fragile after time. Not really sure if you can trust the color codes from back then to now. From what I've found is not so much the wires as the connectors at the terminals that get corroded and cause troubles. You didn't give a reason why you felt new wires were needed? Sometimes we go too deep in our diagnostics. Usually its something simple.....we hope.