Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone wear breeches and riding boots any more?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Oldtigercub
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does anyone wear breeches and riding boots any more?

As I was surfing the net for a new helmet and a pair of riding boots, the thought occurred to me: Does anyone (beside motorcycle cops) wear breeches and riding boots any more?

I know that some will say that breeches are "gay" and just for rich chicks that ride horses..."Every self-respecting cyclist wears jeans"...etc....

I have always worn jeans, usually lined, sometimes with long underwear (even in the summer...believe it or not, they do help keep the engine heat off one's legs when it gets really hot), but it occurred to me that cycle cops wear breeches and high-top boots for a reason, and it isn't just "because it's part of the uniform". They do have a very practical side. The high boots offer excellent leg protection, and the fact that the boots go over the legs of the pants eleminates the possiblity of snagging a pant-leg on any part of the bike. I wore them (as part of the uniform) when I was involved with the local sheriff's reserve outfit, and found them comfortable and practical, though I never wore them for casual riding. I had given consideration to buying a couple of plain pairs (without braids) and wearing my riding boots, which I still have but have not worn for a long time because they are uncomfortable when worn under the legs of jeans. I never did buy any, mostly because of the price, though.

Granted, breeches are expensive compared to jeans, typically in the $100 - $200 range, and they need to be tailor fit in some cases (the heavy wool variety for cold conditions does not stretch at all), but sometimes I think they might be a good alternative to what I wear now, especially for long rides and those days when the weather is unpredictable.

Soooooo.....anyway....just thought I'd throw it up as a fun question for suggestions, discussion and feedback...does anyone here wear breeches as part of their riding apparel?

Old 04-09-2011, 12:23 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Umm..........you first.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:26 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

What are "breeches"?

Old 04-09-2011, 12:29 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No. My dad was a motor cop back in the 50s and 60s and wore the uniform you described. They were good looking and practical but I never thought of wearing them myself although I took after the motor part. Come to think of it he had wire frame Ray Bans with mirror lenses. Do you wear those, too?

Old 04-09-2011, 12:34 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You talking about those Oompa Loompa pants that bellow out at the thighs?

Old 04-09-2011, 12:38 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for it! I do not wear Knickers playing golf either but I have seen a few still do.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Oldtigercub
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
No. My dad was a motor cop back in the 50s and 60s and wore the uniform you described. They were good looking and practical but I never thought of wearing them myself although I took after the motor part. Come to think of it he had wire frame Ray Bans with mirror lenses. Do you wear those, too?

Actually, yeah! ROFL Well, I did back in the day, anyway! Hehehehe

That's me back in about 1995 at a parade (St Patricks Day, I think). The mustache looks as bad now as it did back then!

Last edited by Oldtigercub; 04-09-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:59 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't wear any pants.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:58 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 946 Posts

These guys soured me on the look. Plus, when Sam Browne belts went out of style the jodphur pants were right behind.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:02 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldtigercub
Actually, yeah! ROFL Well, I did back in the day, anyway! Hehehehe

That's me back in about 1995 at a parade (St Patricks Day, I think). The mustache looks as bad now as it did back then!

LMAO, that is one serious **** stach you got going on there!

Hell except for the larger agencies out here none of them motors wear that type of uniform. They all wear "BDU's". Talk about taking all the pride out of being a motor officer. But maybe the city is being p.c. and doesn't want to equate them to the jack boots back when. Either way it's a shame.

Quick Reply: Does anyone wear breeches and riding boots any more?