Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone wear breeches and riding boots any more?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:41 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Hog gear

Originally Posted by Oldtigercub
As I was surfing the net for a new helmet and a pair of riding boots, the thought occurred to me: Does anyone (beside motorcycle cops) wear breeches and riding boots any more?

I know that some will say that breeches are "gay" and just for rich chicks that ride horses..."Every self-respecting cyclist wears jeans"...etc....

I have always worn jeans, usually lined, sometimes with long underwear (even in the summer...believe it or not, they do help keep the engine heat off one's legs when it gets really hot), but it occurred to me that cycle cops wear breeches and high-top boots for a reason, and it isn't just "because it's part of the uniform". They do have a very practical side. The high boots offer excellent leg protection, and the fact that the boots go over the legs of the pants eleminates the possiblity of snagging a pant-leg on any part of the bike. I wore them (as part of the uniform) when I was involved with the local sheriff's reserve outfit, and found them comfortable and practical, though I never wore them for casual riding. I had given consideration to buying a couple of plain pairs (without braids) and wearing my riding boots, which I still have but have not worn for a long time because they are uncomfortable when worn under the legs of jeans. I never did buy any, mostly because of the price, though.

Granted, breeches are expensive compared to jeans, typically in the $100 - $200 range, and they need to be tailor fit in some cases (the heavy wool variety for cold conditions does not stretch at all), but sometimes I think they might be a good alternative to what I wear now, especially for long rides and those days when the weather is unpredictable.

Soooooo.....anyway....just thought I'd throw it up as a fun question for suggestions, discussion and feedback...does anyone here wear breeches as part of their riding apparel?
OK FOLKS, I HAVE POSTED MY RIDDIN' CLOTHES BEFORE BUT MAYBE YOU'ALL ARE READY FOR 'NOTHER LAFF. COTTON SOCKS UNDER 100% WOOL BOOT SOCKS WITH HEAVY H-D ENGINEER BOOTS. COTTON BOXERS UNDER 100% SILK LONGHANDLES UNDER 100% COTTON INSULATED LONGHANDLES, TAKE OFF THE INSULATED ONES IF TEMPERATURE REACHES 90. THICK COWHIDE LEATHER TROUSERS. 100% COTTON LONG SLEEVE LIGHT WEIGHT T SHIRT, 100% COTTON HEAVY DUTY LONG SLEEVE SWEAT SHIRT, THICK COWHIDE LEATHER JACKET, (WITH H-D & 101st PATCHES). FULL FINGER GLOVES & FULL FACE HELMET. I NEVER TAKE THE "BLACK BEAUTY" OUT JUST FOR A QUICKIE TO THE WALMART, ONLY FOR 2 OR 3 HOUR RIDES. VERY COMFORTABLE ON THE DRAGON OR BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY. SEEN MY POST, "DRESS FOR THE SLIDE"? THIS IS MY ATTEMPT TO DO SO SINCE I BURNT UP SOME LEATHER ON THE DRAGON IN 1975.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:54 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Whoa, for just a moment there I thought I had logged onto the Chronicle of The Horse forum I also frequent. LOL! Nice 'stache there, Oldtigercub.

Last edited by GeorgiaGirl; 04-10-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:04 AM
ed parolini
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheerio

Only when the fox-hunt beckons.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:19 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member

I found this thread interesting as it used the term "breeches".

"Breeches" comes from the latin "braccae", which were the trousers worn by the celts which the Romans found in the upper reaches of Europe and "some" of the Scotti found in the Islands. Remember that at this time the Romans were NOT wearing bi-furcated garments, but rather a "kilted" (pleated or folded) tunica (tunic) as their uniform. They considered braccae to be the clothing of savages! Although, the Irish (certainly savages by anyone's definition) DID wear the "lein-croich" a "kilted" tunic similar to that of the Romans).

The Scots (Highlanders) referred to them as "breeks". So, during the Rebellion of the American Colonies, when King George's Scottich Regiments wore out the plaidies ("kilts" for our use here, you don't want me to go off an a "plaide" terminology thing here, trust me!), they were given "Breeks" or "Breeches" to wear. These were both the "Breeks" that went to just below the knee, and also the "Breeks" that went all the way to the ankle which were called "overalls". The English called them "breeches" and that, of course, has led to our "American" expression of "Britches"!

The OP is, I think, asking about a certain kind of "Breeches" which were associated with calvary and general horsemanship around WWI or so. These were called "jodhpers" which were breeches that were tight on the lower leg and then billowed out above the knee to the sides of the hips (remember Gen. Patton?).

Whatever the reason for the flaring at the hips, at this time that style is only worn by traditionalists (sort of). The current style seems to be double thick reenforced stretchy fabric which gives a very tight, fitted-look. I've read that its the evolution of stretchy fabric that has given the death knell to the jodhper style. Many modern Motor Officer uniforms reflect this equestrian influence as well and jodhpers are increasingly a thing of the past in MO uniforms.

Interesting to me, because In my period of interest (18th century British Military) our Dragoons and Cavalry wore uniform "Breeks" in the MODERN equestrian style, NOT johpers. The material used was deerskin (color used depended on the Regimental warrant) and the cut of the leg and hip was very modern looking (except for period conventions like buttons instead of zippers, etc.).

The Scots, themselves DID have "breeks" but they were called "Trews" (and you can readily identify that derivitive of "Trousers". Trews evolved during the 16th century from the earlier period "tights" worn by the English. The Trews were worn predominently by Lowland (loathsome) Scots and the wealthy (who wanted to maintain the tartan but wear pants as well). Until the proscription of the mid 18th century which forbad the tartan, pipes and weapons went into effect.

"Trews" were cut very much like the deerskin riding breeks but were made of woven wool tartan, cut on the bias which gave a stretchy characteristic equivilant to deerskin. You CAN wear a "kilt" or "plaidie" (Brecan-beagh, philea-beagh, etc) riding a horse OR a Harley (riding "regimental" is a real treat and it gets attention from the ladies at stop lights!) but I prefer a regular "jean" cut, cotton denim.

Shall I go off on a tangent with (serge de'Nime's) and the historical evolution of the fabric in the early 18th century? Didn't think so...

Bloody Hell, I'm sorry... what was the original question??? And more pressingly: Did I just type all this Sober???

Jim aka kiltiemon (His Majesty's 42nd Regt of Ft, RHR, Lt. Col's Coy.)

Old 04-10-2011, 01:24 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member

"Only when the fox-hunt beckons."

Ed...

I can't testify for Jodhpers, but I can tell you THIS...

"Foxes" ALWAYS congregate around a Man in a Kilt!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 04-10-2011, 03:24 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

WTF are "breeches"?

edit*...nvm I just read Kiltiemon's epic..

well done btw..

Last edited by DinoVelvet; 04-10-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldtigercub

And sporting the sweet, 70's **** 'stache!

Old 04-10-2011, 04:13 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 75 Posts

Unless you're a cop on a bike at work it's gay as all get up to tuck your pants into your riding boots...at least in Western Canada.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:29 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl
Nice 'stache there, Oldtigercub.
Ok now, get your mind out of he gutter....this here is a respectable forum...

Old 04-10-2011, 04:38 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think that is a fashion that will come back. I tend to go with Jeans. Maybe something like draggin jeans and Harley boots. And Chaps when below 50.

Quick Reply: Does anyone wear breeches and riding boots any more?