General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone wear breeches and riding boots any more?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does anyone wear breeches and riding boots any more?

I'm not a cop, so no.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:30 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess I'm a dummy, I don't understand this breeches and boots thing. I thought breeches were pants and boots were boots. Please define if you would, what you are referring to. thanks in advance, inquiring minds want to know!!
P.S., not trying to be a butthead, but want to know what the fuss is about?

Old 04-09-2011, 10:58 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Nope! I have never seen a rider with them. But our local county sheriff motor officers still have the old stye breeches and knee high boots. My only thought was " they've wasted my tax money again".

Old 04-09-2011, 11:09 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,231 Likes on 4,776 Posts

I've been thinking about getting a set. don't know if I can justify the boots though. They are a bit pricy.

Myself and several others here do sport the "Natty" caps though. Would seem only fitting to get the Boots and Breeches to go along with them.

Attached Thumbnails Does anyone wear breeches and riding boots any more?-natty-cap.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 05:56 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
I guess I'm a dummy, I don't understand this breeches and boots thing. I thought breeches were pants and boots were boots. Please define if you would, what you are referring to. thanks in advance, inquiring minds want to know!!
P.S., not trying to be a butthead, but want to know what the fuss is about?
Here ya go. I would think breeches would flap in the wind, especially with the buffeting many of us complain about on our Harleys.

Attached Thumbnails Does anyone wear breeches and riding boots any more?-breech37.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 06:26 AM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Most comfortable thing you will ever wear on a bike. Breeches are riding breeches as used by the calvary. Boots are high top riding boots which came from the calvary as well. Boots usually come 3/4 of the way up your calf. Breeches go 1/2 way down your calf so there is a little bit of overlap. Some motor officers by the breeches oversized and have them lined with kevlar, in case they have a get off. Also seen some with spandex on the inside of the thigh. Apparently it eases the pressure on your knee.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:51 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Here ya go. I would think breeches would flap in the wind, especially with the buffeting many of us complain about on our Harleys.
Breeches are designed for the seated position.

A lot of the flare ("bagginess") isn't there when seated, though of course some breeches are styled to have more of that flare for a certain look.

Keep in mind that modern breeches (for riding horses) are made of stretchable material, so you don't see that kind of flare on modern riding breeches.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:03 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

You guys are gonna make me spend money I don't have again. First it was the "Natty Cap" (which I really like by the way), and now on Breeches.

I've always thought they would be good for long rides in the summer because of the flair thing, which I would think allows for air circulation around the legs. I had never thought about them taking pressure of the knees, and thighs too I imagine.

I'm looking for anything that will help on the Hoka Hey this year and sounds like a couple pair of these might be a good investment.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:12 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by stro1965
Our motor unit still wears 'em. I just had to buy a pair of those damn boots....$400.00!
They make you pay for your own boots? That just sucks.

First time I've admitted it here but what the hell----I was an LEO (County) in another life over 20 yeas ago. Anything that was required as part of the uniform the County had to furnish to us. That included black socks and crew neck T-shirts.

Once a year we would get a voucher for one of the uniform stores in town, Can't remember how much the vouchers were for, but it was enough to get two complete uniforms including shoes or boots.

I never wore dept issued footwear so I would get my Ole Man a new pair of boots every year (pretty sure there is a statute of limitations on misappropriation of county property, so I should be safe on that one).

Old 04-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

I only wear them to the club 'Britches & Boots'

Quick Reply: Does anyone wear breeches and riding boots any more?