General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When are people ever going to learn?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 04:53 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When are people ever going to learn?

I was reading the thread Biketoberfest Warning and the problems LOUD PIPES are bringing to the Riders down there.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good sounding V-Twin, but I also understand when to attempt to keep it as quiet as possible.

Like it or not. Law-makers and Law Enforcement are not PRO-active, they are RE-active.

They don't sit around and think to themselves"I am going to make a motorcycle noise law today" or "I think I"ll just go out and do some decibal readings on motorcycles today"

They re-act to whats going on in society.
And right now the non-bikers are complainin about the noise in the towns.
And believe it or not, there are actually more of them then there are of us.

So now Law-makers and L.E.O.'s are REACTING to the complaints from the masses.(Gots to keep them voters happy)

And we are quickly learning through OUR WALLETS the costs of other riders stupidity.

This same thing happened in the Trucking Industry.

Next time your out riding, take a notice to the "No Engine Brake", "No Compresion Brake" or "No Jake Brake" signs you see comming into ALOT of towns and City's.

They came to be, because a SMALL SEGMENT of truck drivers, just had to have those open exhausts and engine brakes.

Then they just had to "rap them off" in small towns in the middle of the night when folks were trying to sleep. They thought it was being "cool".

Now every truck suffers under the same laws, and it actually is a law on a piece of SAFETY EQUIPMENT, that is being restricted in it's use.

There was a "Letter from the President/CEO" posted on the MOCO Site for awhile addressing this same issue, not to long ago.

He wasn't asking that you stop using the modded exhausts, he was asking that you use them wisely.

Like it or not, when you climb on that Motorcycle, you are a part of a very large Family. And your actions(Good or Bad) reflect upon the entire Family.
Also remember most people tend to remember the Bad more then they do the Good.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:05 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: When are people ever going to learn?

Makes sense to me. We want respect from non riders, we have to give them some too.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Hound Dog 1
Advanced

THANK YOU! Excellent post. I think folks would be stunned about how many people regularly complain to their local elected officials about exhaust noise.

Most of them don't want to wade into it too much. Really. You can scream and yell about ignorant "anti-bikers" but most civilians I talk to like motorcycles but are tired of loud pipes.

I think folks would take pipes with a respectful volume (around the old SEII volumes) with ease. The problem is that the really loud pipes send them off to decide Harley stock pipes are too loud. Those folks absolutely call their elected officials all the time.

Don't believe me? Call your local council member or state legislator. Ask if they get calls about motorcycle tailpipe noise. You might be surprised.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:21 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif][sm=boink3.gif][sm=popcorn.gif]

Shortly we shall hear from the "I'll do whatever the foock I want" crowd.

[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 10-19-2006, 05:40 PM
SDMF
Road Warrior

I agree that a little common sense can go a long way. However, the unfortunate answer to your question is, they'll never learn. They're the same morons that let their cell phones ring in movie theaters, let their children act like retards in public, flip you off after cutting you off in traffic...you get the idea where I'm going. There's one in every crowd and in most cases, every family. Even in our Harley family. My pipes are capable of being obnoxious, but when I ride in neighborhoods or in towns with noise ordinances, I always back off and keep the rpm's low. To this day, I've never been hasseled about any of my loud pipes.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9114/DCB1BDD9F1DC4E51A178B68B204263A0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-19-2006, 06:32 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Good post! Like it or not it is not going away. I changed from loud duals on my bikes to nice sounding but not obnoxious pipes AND gained power. I truly believe I am not a trend setter but just caught up in the evolving current of mass change. There will always be the outlaw "loud as hell" exceptions but it used to seem like the quiet bikes were the exception.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I will post it first. I will do whatever I want.

Someone had to start it.

BTW there is a huge difference between someone being an *SSHOLE with their pipes and general loud pipe people. I try to not make waves with my exhaust. At the same time I run straight exhaust. Drag Pipes baby!

Old 10-19-2006, 07:00 PM
sctusa
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

I was reading the thread Biketoberfest Warning and the problems LOUD PIPES are bringing to the Riders down there.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good sounding V-Twin, but I also understand when to attempt to keep it as quiet as possible.

Like it or not. Law-makers and Law Enforcement are not PRO-active, they are RE-active.

They don't sit around and think to themselves"I am going to make a motorcycle noise law today" or "I think I"ll just go out and do some decibal readings on motorcycles today"

So now Law-makers and L.E.O.'s are REACTING to the complaints from the masses.(Gots to keep them voters happy)

And we are quickly learning through OUR WALLETS the costs of other riders stupidity.

This same thing happened in the Trucking Industry.

Next time your out riding, take a notice to the "No Engine Brake", "No Compresion Brake" or "No Jake Brake" signs you see comming into ALOT of towns and City's.

They came to be, because a SMALL SEGMENT of truck drivers, just had to have those open exhausts and engine brakes.

Then they just had to "rap them off" in small towns in the middle of the night when folks were trying to sleep. They thought it was being "cool".

Now every truck suffers under the same laws, and it actually is a law on a piece of SAFETY EQUIPMENT, that is being restricted in it's use.

There was a "Letter from the President/CEO" posted on the MOCO Site for awhile addressing this same issue, not to long ago.

He wasn't asking that you stop using the modded exhausts, he was asking that you use them wisely.

Like it or not, when you climb on that Motorcycle, you are a part of a very large Family. And your actions(Good or Bad) reflect upon the entire Family.
Also remember most people tend to remember the Bad more then they do the Good.
Great post SteelCity and right on track. I see signs all over here at Biketoberfest asking us to ride quietly. I am in a campground with probably several hundred bikes in here and nobody is acting like a fool, just having a good time. I slept like a baby last night. Course that harley sound is like soothing music!

Old 10-19-2006, 07:09 PM
lapisblue
Tourer

This is Biketoberfest in Daytona Beach Florida that runs 3 days, not a problem for the rest of the year (except for Bike week in March). I think they can live with 3 days of loud pipes. Ask any business owner in Daytona if they mind a few loud pipes for 3 day's and the answer will be NO. The people know we are coming, so just live with it. It's just a bunch of old retired farts with too much time on their hands complaining.

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

Old 10-19-2006, 07:17 PM
billk
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: Yellotang

OK, I will post it first. I will do whatever I want.

Someone had to start it.

BTW there is a huge difference between someone being an *SSHOLE with their pipes and general loud pipe people. I try to not make waves with my exhaust. At the same time I run straight exhaust. Drag Pipes baby!

I say keep hitting them in the wallet!!! Some think the world revolves around them...hey, a free county, I can do what I want. *uck everybody else, they don't exist. I can only go around in this world once...and I am going to be LOUD. Now we know why all these government regulations have been implemented....to protect the masses.

Quick Reply: When are people ever going to learn?