General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body armor

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Grizzwood
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Body armor

Do you wear body armor in your jacket or other areas? While I was aware of elbow and knee pads for bicyclists, only recently did I learn that some jackets have it built in. I could have used some armor protection many years ago on my left arm when a car cut me off and I slid out.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:20 PM
MisterPX
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All my riding jackets come with armor. I've also picked up some knee pads, since that's what I smacked up when I went down before.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:26 PM
J-Rod75
Cruiser

Personally, I wear armored jackets most of the time. Of course I have been known to go with tshirt and vest at times...but usually wear the jacket. I've gone down without armor and with and there is definitely a difference. I currently have a few different jackets....a Cortech Python (leather with armor and "speed bump" in back to prevent TOOOO much whiplash...supposedly, never tested it and never wanted to) and it's HOT TO WEAR....then I have a Skorpion EXO mesh....and a Harley Convertible jacket that is Nylon and zips off to be a mesh. All of them have their good points....but the best of them is the armor....even if you never go down....it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

All in all buddy....I think that they are pretty comfy and don't impede movement at all; obviously you can FEEL the armor in there and it's a bit "different"....but not bad at all and easy to get used to.....well worth the money and piece of mind of the added protection.

J-Rod

Old 04-08-2011, 04:28 PM
robbieaz62
Cruiser

Just a regular, fairly heavy leather jacket with no armor when it's cold enough for one. Denim jacket or no jacket at all otherwise.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:37 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My heavy Harley leather jacket has soft shoulder & elbow armor; never notice it, while riding. Warm weather gloves have knuckle armor and gel-padded palms. Plain leather chaps--I'd add knee armor; that's the area most injured when I went down @ 55 mph in jeans.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:51 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope. Leathers when it's cold enough, lightweight jacket when it warms a little, t shirt and jeans the rest of the time.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:31 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a nice Icon leather jacket I got on ebay, love it but the first thing I did was take out the armor, just too bulky for me.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:20 PM
garthj
Advanced

I have a mesh jacket with armor, i had to take out the back protector, it was the only one that bothered me. I'm looking at some Kevlar jeans, some have pockets for knee armor. I recently saw a pic of a knee that hit the pavement, it was NASTY!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:23 PM
SauerKraut
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear a Joe Rocket jacket with elbow, shouder and back plates.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought an armored jacket from Leatherup.com a few weeks ago. Very nice jacket!!

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Moto...ket/54092.html

Quick Reply: Body armor