General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hearing protection for Exhaust noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Hearing protection for Exhaust noise?

I'm a former Crew Chief on Huey's and I know how important it is to wear hearing protection. High pitch whine of a Jet Engine can ruin your ears in a hurry.

I used to have a Wide Glide without a windshield and I always wore hearing protection due to the wind noise.

I've got a Heritage now with a full windshield and I don't get the wind noise anymore. The only noise I wonder about is the exhaust sound (Rush Slip-Ons with 2" baffles).

The exhaust sound doesn't seem to bother me that much and lately, I haven't been wearing earplugs. I don't know if it's because the sound is much lower or what, but it just doesn't seem to be bothering my hearing.

What do you guys think/do if you're running a full windshield (no helmet)? Do you still use earplugs?

Old 04-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll throw some foam roll up ear plugs in if I'm hittin the highway for longer than 30 minutes. Same plugs I use for shooting.

A good pair of in-ear headphones work well too, and provide some tunes.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

U must have a lot bigger shield than I have. I still get a lot of wind noise.

But with the Rush I also use at least one plug in my right ear, sometimes both ears if I do any long runs on the hi-ways.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well both my bikes are loud and mt XL50 will wake the dead LOL! Open pipes and I don't use ear plugs, just enjoy the sound. As far as wind nosie goes it's part of riding. I have bad very loud sound systems in car and mosr of my bikes inthe past have been loud and I hear just fine. Do what you think is best for you.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Ear plugs will continue to be the best solution, though you might consider smaller baffles for the pipes. I keep a pair of ear plugs in both of riding jackets.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:19 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I've just recently started wearing them and wish I had done it a long time ago. I have a shield but still get a lot of noise at highway speeds.

One positive effect I've noticed is I can hear my exhaust (Thunder Header) better! It allows me to adjust my riding style to help keep the noise down when I'm in a noise sensitive area. I'm still forgetting to put them in a lot but I'm thinking that over time it will become automatic.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
U must have a lot bigger shield than I have. I still get a lot of wind noise.

But with the Rush I also use at least one plug in my right ear, sometimes both ears if I do any long runs on the hi-ways.
I actually did replace my shield with the taller one. It came 23" and then I cut it down to about 21". I think the stock Heritage windshield on the newer models is about 19".

Course, I've also got the Tallboy seat so I sit higher also, might be a "wash" in the end.

I've also got the Chrome Wind Deflectors so that might be helping too. Unless the wind is blowing really strong from the side, I really don't get much wind noise.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Triple M
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ride a Heritage with SE slip-ons and wear foam ear plugs everytime I ride

Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple M
I ride a Heritage with SE slip-ons and wear foam ear plugs everytime I ride
My Rocker C also has the SE slip ons and I wear ear plugs for the wind noise, not exhaust noise.
Though riding beside some of my buddies, it helps on their exhaust noise.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:11 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
I'm a former Crew Chief on Huey's and I know how important it is to wear hearing protection. High pitch whine of a Jet Engine can ruin your ears in a hurry.

I used to have a Wide Glide without a windshield and I always wore hearing protection due to the wind noise.

I've got a Heritage now with a full windshield and I don't get the wind noise anymore. The only noise I wonder about is the exhaust sound (Rush Slip-Ons with 2" baffles).

The exhaust sound doesn't seem to bother me that much and lately, I haven't been wearing earplugs. I don't know if it's because the sound is much lower or what, but it just doesn't seem to be bothering my hearing.

What do you guys think/do if you're running a full windshield (no helmet)? Do you still use earplugs?
I usually try to wear earplugs when I go any distance even with the windshield on the bike. Didn't last night though. Still a good idea.

Quick Reply: Hearing protection for Exhaust noise?