General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend wrecked bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:43 PM
fighthedude
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friend wrecked bike

Long story short my buddy wrecked the bike. I know I will catch **** for letting someone else ride it but what's done is done and I already feel like poo so take it easy on me right now. The question for you fellas out here what do you think the best course of action is. I have full coverage but my buddy doesnt have a motorcycle licensce. His wife wants to pay out of pocket but that could get pricey and like I said, it was a friend. Not trying to be a dick and take his money. Any advice or has anyone else had experience in this situation. The search here didn't really yield any results.
JA
PS. no cops or insurance has been contacted yet

Old 04-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you could say a black cat ran in front of you and you had to ditch it.
Get your buddy to pay the deductible.
Or hope he's a very honest friend and let him pay it all.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:56 PM
dylder
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't commit insurance fraud in any way. Report it and answer question honestly, don't volunteer any info though. Your bud may need to come up with the deductible, but thats between you and him.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:00 PM
ConnMan
Road Master

Your buddy pays, period. Your insurance [especially if it's Progressive] will not want to pay a claim if he did not have a motorcycle license. Insurance fraud is never a good idea. I know, I'm an insurance agent.

Oh, and I know more than a few insurance adjusters who are on this board, and peruse other message boards. Seriously. This could get ugly.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:02 PM
fighthedude
Cruiser

That is kinda what I am thinking, however I don't really want that on my driving record. I guess only time will tell

Old 04-06-2011, 11:05 PM
fighthedude
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ConnMan
Your buddy pays, period. Your insurance [especially if it's Progressive] will not want to pay a claim if he did not have a motorcycle license. Insurance fraud is never a good idea. I know, I'm an insurance agent.

Oh, and I know more than a few insurance adjusters who are on this board, and peruse other message boards. Seriously. This could get ugly.

It may have came off wrong. I am not going to commit fraud in anyway. I am just new to all of this and want to figure it out. He has insurance for sure, but he wants to settle this without insurance. This just happened. He is in the ER with a broken ankle so he hasn't even had time to process.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:07 PM
ConnMan
Road Master

Originally Posted by fighthedude
That is kinda what I am thinking, however I don't really want that on my driving record. I guess only time will tell
I've seen far worse than what you're going through. If this guy is a true friend, he won't even think of not paying. If he wants you to run it through your insurance company, tell him to run it through his insurance company. [It would not be fraudulent that way.] These things rarely end well, I hope for the best for you!

Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

You let a non-licensed rider ride your motorcycle?

Old 04-06-2011, 11:09 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by fighthedude
It may have came off wrong. I am not going to commit fraud in anyway. I am just new to all of this and want to figure it out. He has insurance for sure, but he wants to settle this without insurance. This just happened. He is in the ER with a broken ankle so he hasn't even had time to process.
Sorry but NO insurace company will cover a non licensed rider. Not his, Not yours...

Old 04-06-2011, 11:11 PM
ConnMan
Road Master

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Sorry but NO insurace company will cover a non licensed rider. Not his, Not yours...
Not true. Plenty of them will.

Quick Reply: Friend wrecked bike