General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend wrecked bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:11 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ConnMan
These things rarely end well, I hope for the best for you!
+1 wait till his OL sees how much the bill is....she probably thinks you can fix a Harley for a few hundred bucks.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:14 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ConnMan
Not true. Plenty of them will.
I have never seen one.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I have never seen one.
I have. Many companies do not require a motorcycle endorsement to insure a bike. One company that will NOT pay it, is Progressive. They will flat out deny the claim and fight you tooth and nail.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Jbizzle
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He wrecked it, let him pay to fix it. If you file it on your insurance, your premiums could go up. Have another wreck any time soon and they could drop you. This was an at fault wreck so, remember, the repercussions of an at fault wreck sometimes can affect you for years.

One other thing to think about, filing a report with the police is the "correct" thing to do. And I encourage you to do that. With that being said, when you file a crash report, if someone runs a carfax on your bike, the bike will show up as having been wrecked. Just food for thought.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Elgin47
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he's a true friend, he'll pay the damages out of pocket, period - regardless of what it costs. Wouldn't you do the same for him? I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:35 PM
fighthedude
Cruiser

He is a good friend and will pay it out of pocket. I just feel bad about him spending so much money. Not to type of person that is going to bail on me. Good input from you all. It is appreciated.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Haywired
Road Master

Your friend should check with his insurance company to see if his will cover it. Either the vehicle or homeowners policy. In the long run it's probably cheaper to just pay it so the insurance rates don't skyrocket. Your buddy pays however he can work it out.

No way no how that you should take any kind of hit on this.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:49 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

If he can afford to pay out of pocket and that's what he wants to do, let him. However, if he's going to pay a little at a time I wouldn't do it. You'll probably never end up seeing all he money that way. Also take into consideration unexpected costs that may pop up and exceed the initial estimate.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:20 AM
bubbas1
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Let him pay out of his pocket.
If it was me I would have the dealer fix only what you cant. For cosmetic stuff...have him buy the parts and you both replace...he is a friend so it would save him some bucks.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:12 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

I ride my bike, and wreck it.... I fix it.
I ride your bike and wreck it... I fix it.

It's called "personal resposnsibility".... Yeah it ain't gonna be cheap.... YOU have the option to accept only brand new parts, or second hand parts... but that's it....work with your friend, maybe you can do the work together, maybe you'll have to bring the bike to a shop, I don't know you, or him, so that will be your call.

Bottom line.... someone borrows YOUR stuff... whether a lawn mower, or shovel, a hand tool, a car, or a motorcycle... WHATEVER.... You are responsible for the item to be in safe operationg condition when lent.... and they have the responsibility to return it, in the same (or better) condition.

I hope this lesson works out well for both.. you and him (and of course the wives....)

Quick Reply: Friend wrecked bike