General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aren't you sick of people telling U to "be careful"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 11:41 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts
Default RE: Aren't you sick of people telling U to "be careful"?

One guy told me he had three friends die in one year from MC accidents. I told him "Great! What's the chances of you knowing of anymore in your life time? I feel safer now" I love it when the numbers are on my side.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:46 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Samstone: Thats like the one I heard about flying:

There is a one in a billion chance that you will ever get onto an airplane that has a bomb on it. There is a one in two billion cance you will ever get onto an airplane with TWO bombs on it.

So to be absolutely safe, you should always carry a bomb on the airplane!!

**Wherever you go--There you are**

Old 10-19-2006, 11:47 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just respond by simply saying "Now, YOU be careful driving your car and yack'n on your cell phone at the same time"... That's a lot more dangerous sport that causes more deaths and injuries.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:16 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,487 Likes on 4,380 Posts

Best friend died this Summer from stomach cancer. The chemo didn't work and he suffered terribly. Was never into bikes like I've been the past 40 some years. We had plans to do more things together and make up for lost time over the years. He lived a good life and was "careful" and died horribly riding a disease before he could really kick his life into high gear. I've lived a good life, I'm careful, and if I die riding a bike there's just no way that it will have been horrible if it happens when I'm in high gear.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:26 AM
Barebackjack
Road Captain

When I used to ride bulls and bucking horses, I never wanted my mom or my wife to say " Be careful and don't get hurt". When you are hanging on to 2000 lbs of hamburger, you can't be careful and you don't want thoughts of getting hurt pop into your subconsious. Now when my mom, wife or daughters tell me to be careful on my bike, it works just the opposite. When I about to do something stupid ( riding while drinking too much, splitting traffic, running way too fast, etc) I think about one of them telling me to be careful and I usually try to ride safe. When some stranger tells me bikes are dangerous, I just tell them FO!

Old 10-20-2006, 01:18 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: bikergirl40

Just respond by simply saying "Now, YOU be careful driving your car and yack'n on your cell phone at the same time"... That's a lot more dangerous sport that causes more deaths and injuries.

You got that right. Studies have shown that cagers on cell phones are even more dangerous than Drunk Drivers! And they are telling us we are being reckless with our lives!?

The world is going to hell in a handbasket!

Old 10-20-2006, 01:59 AM
2deuceguy
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

most of the other riders i see, wether friends or just someone i meet at a gas station, say to be safe or ride safe. i usually respond with thanks man, you too. my wife always says to be careful and not to drink too much. luckily, i have a pretty cool wife who doesn't mind if i end up in a hotel in some other town(or another state in a few instances). i usually call and let her know i had to leave my bike in front of the bar and will be home in the morning. from these people, i appreciate them telling me to be safe or careful because i know they mean well. but, i agree that the dumb a$$es telling me i'm going to kill myself get old. i usually tell them that if i'm gonna die, at least if i'm on my bike i will die happy. i tell my wife that if i do get killed, i want to be buried with my seat, handlebars and shifter. she doesn't find that as funny as i do though

Old 10-20-2006, 09:26 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

Thats fine, so you die happy---but what about the people who barely know you and have NEVER ridden in their life that lay a guilt trip on you because you have children?!! "You should care more than to take a chance with your life". "Do you know what that would do to your children"? Because I have children I suppose I should never leave the house either!

These people automatically ASSUME you are going to die because you own a bike. Lately I have been saying " Don't worry, the world wouldn't be lucky enough to get rid of me early".

ORIGINAL: cjwanner2000

i agree that the dumb a$$es telling me i'm going to kill myself get old. i usually tell them that if i'm gonna die, at least if i'm on my bike i will die happy. i tell my wife that if i do get killed, i want to be buried with my seat, handlebars and shifter. she doesn't find that as funny as i do though

Old 10-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts

A friend and I have talked about ownign Harleys for a few years now and going for a trip from Mi to CA and back on Route 66. Well I just got my first Harley and love it. He has 2 kids (5 and 7) and says "when their in college man, then Ill get a bike and we can ride. I cant do that to my kids." On one hand I can see he's worried about his kids if something happened to him, but just cuz you have kids doesnt mean you still cant live!