General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dangers of Riding a Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:11 AM
E DOGG
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dangers of Riding a Motorcycle

What everybody said!

I did the MSF Course. I got a HONDA Shadow 750c.c. 450lbs. Something that I could manuever around and not DROP. To me, it was easier riding my Harley(850+ lbs.) because of the learning with a smaller Bike.

Maybe ,get a smaller size bike first, than if your passion lingers....UPGRADE!!

Old 11-18-2006, 05:05 AM
spring fever
Intermediate

Man, I wish I had've known about this forum when I bought my bike. I can barely see the screen through all of my tears
Seriously now, this is the most productive thread I've seen yet. Mike came to the right place and when he finally buys his HD
he'll have alot of help.When I signed the papers on my bike I had never ridden a bike in my life.1450cc's and 752lbs. I had to
have someone ride it home for me and park it in my garage. He told me where the controls were and how to put it into first gear.
Iwaited 'till I was by myself a couple of days later and gave it a shot. The only part of the bike that I had memorized was the "kill
switch". I'm 41, and have three kids,1,6,and8 but if Dad does nothing but work and sleep,work and sleep, not only do I lose my "life"
but how will my children rememberme?

Wow,this was pretty deep but it's all your fault . Goodnight Jonboy,Goodnight Maryellen

BUY A SPRINGER MIKE, THEN YOU'LL NEVER HAVE TO UPGRADE

Old 11-18-2006, 08:45 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So much has already been said about this subject but let me touch on one thing that sometimes is overlooked: lane usage. Consider that each lane has 3 sections; left tire track, right tire track and oily center stripe(with nails and sdrews). Picture a two lane, paved country (perhaps county) highway. Let's say you're traveling in the left tire lane where you're not likely to find nails, screws, etc. and you see a large, slow motorhome approaching you with about 4 to 6 cars stacked up behind him. There's a good chance they're all anxious to pass, right? What if you pulled over into the right tire track and allowed the vehicles behind the motorhome a better opportunity to see you approach before they pull out into your face? (You can also tell by my description of the lanes the ONE that I stay out of whenever I can!!)

This is just an example of things going on around you that you want to try and be aware of all the time. The old MSF sipde thing. Scan(around you), identify(potential problems), predict(what might happen), decide(what to do if it does), execute(when it happens).

Old 11-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot add much. However, I will tell you that I work in a long term acute care hospital every saturday. The thing that irritates me the most is the nurses saying..."why do they ride those things? Do you see how messed up the people are we get from motorcycle accidents?" The last time I heard this comment was while we had a 80% braindead 20 year old female whose family was distraught and heartbroken and was looking for a miracle, after their daughter was ruined in an AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT. I was quick to point our this time that we have far more people come through our hopital with serious injuries that they acquired from an automobile accident than a motorcycle accident.
Three rules to remember:
1) you are invisible. If you ever think that you are not invisible you are about to get run over.

2) you never have the right of way. I do not give a hoot what the state law says. if you ever think you have the right of way you are about to get run over.

3)The first two rules never change. If they do you are about to get...you get the picture.

one last point. I have seen this a lot do not ride with alcohol in your system. not any amount. Do not do anything stupid. There are enough stupid, distracted, impatient, furious, careless, blind, and otherwise not paying attention drivers out there who will kill you through their inattention.

happy motoring

Old 11-20-2006, 12:35 PM
jackj
Banned

I think all has been said on the safety side so the bottom line is and most importantly is "I've always wanted to buy a Harley." Many & many of us that rode when we were young, before kids etc. etc. & because of work had to stop riding, have now got back on bikes. There is what I call the "Fear factor" & the "Fun Factor", to enjoy riding the "Fun factor" has to stay ahead of the fear factor. Take a course, besides improving the fun factor side, it will also afford you time to decide WHAT TYPE RIDING DO YOU WANT TO DO. Then only after that is decided, buy a bike that best fits the riding you will have time to do. Talk with other riders, get a feel for the type riding you want to do. Riding to the west coast on a Classic is a joy, riding to the west coast on a Fat Boy would be a pain is the ***. And finally again "I've always wanted to buy a Harley.", most likely in 10 to 20 years you will be dead anyway, if you have taken care of everyone at home, have the spair $ to spend, have the time to ride, GO FOR IT..... buddy LIFE IS SHORT even if you live to be 100.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:07 PM
fxdwgcvo
Cruiser

FOR ME
THE LAST TIME I RODE WAS BACK IN HS IM NOW 52 AND FINALLY SAID HEY NOW OR NEVER IAM GOING TO TAKE THE RIDERS COURSE IN THE SPRING ,I HAVE NOT RIDEN MY BIKE SINCE I PURCHASED IT IN SEPT,I NO I CAN DO THIS WITH NO PROBLEM AFTER ALL I SEE LADIES RIDING BIKES SO I NO I CAN (NO KNOCK ON THE LADY RIDERS).AM I CONCERNED WITH SAFETY ABSOLUTELY MY METHODS WILL BE WAY DIFFERENT THEN IF I WERE IN MY CAR OR TRUCK,WHAT I CONSIDERED SHOWING OFF IN MY X SPORST CAR OF SOME SPEEDS OVER 100 WILL NOT BE DONE WITH THE BIKE.i MUST AND IM SURE MOST OF YOU RESPECT YOUR RIDE.mY 1ST TIME ON THE ROAD IN TRAFFIC IS GOING TO BE AN ADVENTURE ILL DRIVE AROUND TOWN MAYBE ON HIGHWAY ONE EXIT TILL IM USED TO THE BIKE RATHER THEN GET SOME SMALL BIKE WITH TRAINING WHEELS,I GOT MY DYNA CVO 1450,NOT TO BIG BUT WHY BUY SMALL THEN GO TO BIG,AM I NERVOUS A LITTLE SCARED NEVER EXCITED AS ALL HELL TO RIDE DAMM RIIGHT i JUST HOPE BEING OVERLY CAUTIOUS DOESNT RUIN THE FUN.

RIDE SAFE ALL
PETER
01FXDWG2CVO

Old 11-20-2006, 01:23 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

"I've always wanted to buy a Harley.", most likely in 10 to 20 years you will be dead anyway, if you have taken care of everyone at home, have the spair $ to spend, have the time to ride, GO FOR IT..... buddy LIFE IS SHORT even if you live to be 100.

I guess it depends on your age whether you can expect to live more than 10 to 20 years. However, the rest of this statement is dead on.

I was an off road "desert racer" and did a little road riding when I was young. I rode thousands of miles at up to 100MPH in the desert but the only time I was laid up from an injury was when , while traveling on a two lane road the guy in the right lane decided to make a very sudden left turn in front of me. I was 30 when my first son was born and decided to quit riding at that time. It is a fact that you are more likely to be severely injured or killed on a motorcycle than in a car. However the old quote" take risk not to escape life, but to keep life from escaping you" is right on. Once my youngest graduated from the U (2000) I bought my Harley. I also went to a NASCAR driving school and took up skydiving. I was 55 at the time. Life isn't over at 50 or 55 and I felt a lot better knowing that I minimized the risk of my wife and kids not having me around until the kids were grown and our financial position was such that my would be taken care of if I weren't here.

Everyone has to make their own choice. One persons choice is not necessarily the right choice for someone else. Do what makes you and your family happy.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,447 Likes on 4,361 Posts

Mike,
The thread has been around awhile but resurfaced and it's a worthy one.

I could be walking down the street and get my light put out by a 1/4ounce meteorite streakin in from space. That'd suck! Imagine the epitaph!

Or I could bite it while riding, kayaking or up in the mountains. Imagine the epitaph!

ORIGINAL: MikeK02048

Hi everyone,

I apologize if this is a common question. I suspect it is.

I've always wanted to buy a Harley. But my wife and kids are extremely worried that I'll get hurt on a motorcycle. Also, there are many of my friends that have horror stories about friends of theirs that have died or been severely injured on them. So what's the deal from your perspective. As riders of motorcycles, how worried are you that no matter how careful you are on the bike, that some drowsy or wreckless car driver will ruin your day?

I ride road bikes (like the kind Lance Armstrong rides) and have to deal with obnoxious motorists all the time. But I'm only going on average about 20 mph. I imagine things change a lot at 70 mph.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 11-20-2006, 01:43 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Life is like playing football, you might not get hurt sitting every game out on the bench, but when the seasons over how much fun did you have? You already ride a bycycle which to me is much more dangerous being nobody feels you have a right to be on the road. At least on a motorcycle you have equal rights of the road.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:50 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: DoCPooF

Hey Mike...

Same situation here.

I have two young children (2 and a 4 yr old son) and heard the same stories. Patients tell me all the time "I can't believe you're a doctor and ride one of those things, don't you know how dangerous they are" I respond "Don't you know how dangerous you are behind that wheel" I personally knew a couple of guys that were killed on bikes, seen another guy die on a bike 3 yrs ago. Do I worry about it - yup. Am I going to let it deter me from riding - Nope! We only get one go around in life and I'm not going to start enjoying it at 60 yrs old. (that wasn't a dig at any of the older riders)

I just turned 36 and want to do it right the first time around because there may not be a tomorrow.

I ended up not listening to the rest of my family and did what I wanted.

I went out and bought a 2007 CVO Road King. It sat in the garage for 2 weeks until I took my MSF course (Yea, I sat on it and rev'd the engine - played make believe ) but I wanted to at least take the course and start out on the right foot.

After taking the course I was alot more confident getting on the bike.

I only have about 1,000 miles under my belt so far but every ride gets more and more comfortable. Practice, practice, practice.

Most important thing is BEING ALERT. At every intersection I anticipate that the cager is going to pull out and if he does what am I going to do.

Do what your heart tells you. I got soo damn hooked on riding I went out and bought my wife a new bike and then I ended up buying a 2nd bike for myself. No one can explain to you the feeling of riding a bike until you do it yourself - it's a natural high.

Best of luck. And like others have said - Live to Ride - Ride to Live
I'm in a very similar situation. I argued with myself for 20 years. While living in NYC, no bike won. When I moved to "country" at 38 I had a bike by 40. I now say how wonderful it is that I found my life's passion. Kick myself for not doing it earlier, it's me.

You gotta be careful, ride smart, but most important, if it's in you, it's in you. I think you should stay away from stupid areas (NYC). I feel it's made me a safer driver - I apply all the things I've learned on the bike to driving my cage.

You've gotten some REALLY good advice here.