General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dangers of Riding a Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 10:49 PM
kyguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dangers of Riding a Motorcycle

Lets put Motorcycle riding in perspective with some other causes of death.
3,000 people were killed on motorcycles in 2004
4,000 people died from food poisoning in 2005
60,000 people died from car accidents in 2005
100,000 people died from Doctor and Hospital mistakes in 2005
On and on it goes people die from something every day.
If I go out on my Bike, I would want all of my Loved ones to know, I went out doing something that put a smile on my face and made me feel more alive, than almost anything else I can think of. Have fun, enjoy life, be safe.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:19 PM
springerGT
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could't the same be said about cars and trucks, as far as the horror stories about death and injury?

GT

Old 10-19-2006, 11:35 PM
MikeK02048
Cruiser

To all that responded to my question:

Thanks for all of the thoughtful advice. I will definitely put it to good use. Although I may not buy a Harley right away, I know that someday I will. The next time I fly down the backside of a big hill going 40 mph on my road bike (on those little skinny tires), I'll think of how much safer I'd be on a Dyna Wide Glide!

Ride safe!

Mike

Old 10-20-2006, 12:16 AM
JCPsr
Advanced

I,d like to offer a bit of practical advice from a financial standpoint. If you are going to do any high risk activity make sure that you are adequatlely insured and the policy will pay if you are killed while enjoying said activity. Make sure that your wife will be able to live the same way and your kids will still be able to go to college if that is what you want for them. I'm not an insurance salesman, but it would really suck if your wife and kids had to give up a standard of living because you checked out.

I have always enjoyed myself with sort of high risk activities like Scuba diving, Drag racing and motorcycle riding. My policy will not pay if I die while diving or racing. You can pickup policies to cover you just during those activities.

I will admit that while my kids were young I did those things infrequently, but now that they're grown the wife and I are piling the miles on. When you have kids (3 for me) I found little time to persue activities that were just for me, so I enjoyed all those activities that the kids were involved in.

Now, my grown kids and I all race and the wife and I ride. They are only little for a relatively short time so enjoy them, there will always be time later for you and your wife. I'm still in my 40's (well at least for another year) and I feel there are years ahead of me to enjoy the things that make life worth living.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:12 AM
MikeK02048
Cruiser

JCP,

Thans for the insight. My kids are 15 (twin boys) and they have started to enjoy cycling with me (I'm 48). We go on 30-40 mile rides and average 16 mph. Not too shabby for 15 yr olds. We also ride mountain bikes together in the state forest near our home. I shared my kids' activities their whole life. For the last 6 years I coached their baseball teams, we golf together, etc. Now, as they are getting older and hang out with their friends, I too find myself having more time for my interests. I have always bought term life insurance so that I can insure my kids future in the way you recommend.

Mike

Old 10-21-2006, 12:51 AM
RenoRainesRenegade
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: kyguy

If I go out on my Bike, I would want all of my Loved ones to know, I went out doing something that put a smile on my face and made me feel more alive, than almost anything else I can think of. Have fun, enjoy life, be safe.
Amen, bro!

Old 10-21-2006, 05:01 PM
SiLlY
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The danger is not to be disreguarded but on the other hand.. if it were absolutely dangerous to ride.. this would be an obituary site and not an enthusiast forum. Don't sweat the small stuff. Use common sense and caution.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:30 PM
blackbob
Tourer

I don't have much to add that most of the more exp guys here have already posted.
Always assume the guy in the car is actively trying to kill you.
Be mindful of the conditions your riding in.
check your ride before you get on it
keep working on your skills, there are some great videos out there and i would retake the advance course every couple years

Something you will see some disagreement on is protective gear. I ride with a full face helmet, gloves, jacket, leather overpants and boots. I owe my wife and son that. I figure take care of what you can and deal with the rest the best way you can. After looking at some road rash photos I don't go out with exposed skin don't care what temp it is. Helmet inpact stats will back up wearing the full face as well, something like over 25% of the strikes occure to the face/jaw area. If your not sure about your committment I would stay away from the harley and go with a cheaper bike. There are a lot of good ones out there. At some point if you decide that riding regular is for you go for the harley.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Budz
Tourer

Haven't read all the replies, so if I'm repeating something it's still important. Your wife and kids have reason to worry about your well being and their security. If you decide to ride, great, but take care of your responsibility to the family; make sure you have ample health insurance and life insurance. If **** happens, don't leave your family hanging on a limb with no means of support. Provide for their financial security, then have your fun. Obviously they love you and are worried about the possibilities. Motorcycling ain't crap compared to family and a man's need to provide for them.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:03 PM
02deucerg
Cruiser

Mike,

I live in Mass also and the MSF coarse is a great place to start. They are 250cc metric bikes, real easy to ride and a very good classroom exsprience also. I personally think the Northeast is the best place to live and ride(except winter)and being in Ma we have more than our fare share of terrible drivers but there is nothing quite like ripping down the back roads in Vermont,New Hamster and Maine. So many miles of road so little time.BTW I'm 36 and have a 5 year old and a 1 year old.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19332/CB6B9C1AB8694D4EB359E90FCC3A297D.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Dangers of Riding a Motorcycle