General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dangers of Riding a Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 02:34 PM
jbe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dangers of Riding a Motorcycle

I agree with what everyone has said. Taking a BRC is very important. I used to ride a street bike when I was 17. A neighbor was suppose to help me get my mc endorsement. Unfortunatly, he moved away before I took the test. I did have my learner's. I rode for two years without a license. I went to college and my dad sold my bike, Yamaha. I then went int the Marines, no riding. My sister bought a 94 sportster. I tried it but it had been so long I was uncomfortable and afraid. Another 12 years went by. I guy I work with and another neighbor both have Harleys. They worked on me and the bug bit. They helped me get my license, little embarrased had to use my sister's bike. Who cares, it was a bike that was there for me to ride. I rode hers for two years and saved my $$$ and bought a 06 Super Glide last Dec. I ride almost every day. I LOVE it. I just play the game that everyone is out to get me. I have had close calls, but I had a way out. Stuff I learned in the BRC. I have only one regret. I waited 30 years to ride again. I will never get those years back. I ride every day and enjoy each one. I have had many close calls doing other things too: scuba diving, flying, farming, trucking, the list goes on. Do not make the same mistake I did. If you want to ride then RIDE. Sorry to be so long.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:11 PM
kjriv
Road Warrior

There's risk in anyhting you do. People get hurt or killed doing things considered far less dangerous. Thats doesn't stop you from crossing the street/driving the kids to school/taking a shower ( I hope not !)

Approach it with caution AND respect. Take a MSF course. Ride within your limits. Ride w/ an assertive and watchful stance. Expect the unexpected and assume NOONE sees you. They don't. You'll be fine.

ANd with any luck, you'll get the kids riding in the dirt also !! That is the best teacher ; early on experience.

And realize if the man upstairs is gonna punch your ticket, it doesn't make a difference if you're in bed, in a car, or on a scoot. Lifes too short to NOT to do something you enjoy for fear of what MAY happen. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:23 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at age 65 i have been riding for a long time about 50 years and yes I have had my share of
bumps and bruises most at low speed or just tip overs that really don't count just make
you look dumb. take a riding course then practice short rides around home till you feel comfy
start taking longer rides and pretty soon you will be doing the 500 mile days and loving it
at least till you get my age then you start to scale back to 350-400 mile days still loveing it
get the bike -enjoy

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/06F678499AB34250B548B7677CA5CDDB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-19-2006, 07:25 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you really really are worried about motorcycles you should stay away from them.

Planning, preparation, and concern would be a better outlook.

I am never worried, only concerned. And that concern will direct the planning and preparation I do prior to and while riding.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:29 PM
Crusing
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are absolutely correct that riding a motorcycle has a certain amount of risk. When I told my wife that I thought I might want to buy a motorcycle earlier this year her first response was hell no! Well at 56 I am no longer a spring chick, but if figured I was not dead yet either so I keep working on getting her accustom to the idea. First I took the Harley Riders Edge riding course and then I rented several bikes to see which one I wanted. After several months the wife accepted the idea and I bought my 06 RKC. Over the past 6 month I have averaged about a 1,000 miles a month and I have never done anything that I enjoy as much. It has progressed to the point that my wife fully supports it because she sees how much pleasure it get from it and even enjoys riding with me occasionally. I stay alert and sit back and enjoy the ride. The way I figure it is you can either get out an enjoy life or just sit back and wait for the end.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:36 PM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: grunt

Be properly educated and your chances of road accidents are no real difference than in your car. There may be higher chance of injury once in an accident, but the trick is to recognize the signs to avoid accidents.
The rider's edge course will teach you that there are actually very few "accidents" on the road... there are many many preventable "collisions" however.

RIDE LIKE YOU ARE INVISIBLE.

Of all the things I've tried (never have and never will jump out of a perfectly good plane though), nothing has exceeded, let alone equalled, the exhilaration of cruising with my fists in the wind. Feed your soul!

Old 10-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My first two minutes on a motorcycle, one 6x6 mailbox post, one driveway, 4 broken ribs in six places, and one bike I just bought on the ground and one thousand dollars in damage. I learned that day best to learn to ride first.. it ain't a toy.

Ever since then, it's been the most fun I've ever had.
The riding courses will save your butt too.. Highly recommended.
A great rider still, is no match for granny in her caddy when she pulls out and cuts you off.. If a good rider isn't paying attention for a split second, he's a hood ornament, as much as a novice rider.

Having said all that.. I say RIDE! You live how many times? Just learn to do it right first. I learned in a church parking lot.. maybe that's a good thing.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:13 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You already bought the bike, now it the time to RIDE it. Look, getting out of bed in the morning and going to the shower involves an inherent risk (slipping on soap, getting soap in your eye, etc.) If you sit and analyze everything bad thing that could happen to you, you'd never get out of that warm bed and even go to work. People are killed at work everyday by machinery, crazy gun-toting co-workers, ex co-workers, bosses, the list goes on, but most of us still go to work just the same.

Take the MSF course, buy good protective clothing, make sure your insurance is paid up (serious about that) and go out and enjoy the crap out of the new ride. Statistics are just that, statistics. Some people ride/drive/fly/walk whatever for years and never have the slightest problem. Other people are a disaster just waiting to happen. The other night I was watching TLC with my daughter and there was a young woman on who had been driving for about 6 years, had 26 accidents and totaled an untold number of cars. She finally gave up her car, bought a bicycle and proceeded to wreck that when she did something else stupid and flipped the bike. If that is your lot in life, I'd sell the bike (to me at a very low price) and stay home. Otherwise, enjoy your new toy.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:18 PM
HD Bones
Road Captain

Dangerous Maybe, Fun Definitely!

Old 10-19-2006, 10:32 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have 3 kids and hear the same thing......but not from my wife & kids.......mostly from other women who don't like motorcycles and guys who are jealous aholes. I got hit by a cager 30 years ago and quit for a long time. Now I'm almost 3 years back into it and I can only say that I will always own a motorcycle. I have a business and a boat & the kids suck up a lot of time.......but it's so nice to pull the cover off the Harley and go for a ride on a nice evening. But, I would recommend the MSF course and a high quality helmet.

Quick Reply: Dangers of Riding a Motorcycle