General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Drain Plus O-Ring

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 07:21 AM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Primary Drain Plus O-Ring

I posted this in the oil section, but thought it would get more eyes up here.

OK, I have looking and looking all over the place for the dash size of the O-Ring for the primary drain plug. My 05 has the smaller plug size.

I know that the
Engine and Trans use 013 (McMaster Carr #8297T123)
Trans Dip Stick use 115 (McMaster Carr #8297T174)

I'm just guessing on this one!
?? Primary drain plug ?? 010 (McMaster Carr #8297T12)
EDIT - SEE POST #13, I TRIED THE 010 AND IT HAS WORKED PERFECTLY

but I cannot find any reference to the size of the smaller O-Ring for the primary plug. I do maint on scuba tanks and have an asortment of O-Rings. It appears to be a o-ring that is between a 010 and a 011 which I have on hand to compare to. I have looked on all sorts of charts and there is nothing that I can find that would measure between the 010 and 011. I am starting to think that the Primary O-Ring that I have is just a porely made 010. I have a bunch of those anyway, and I will give one a shot the next time I change my oil. I just changed it a couple of weeks ago though, so it may be a little while. If anyone here knows what the size is please pass it along. It has become an obsession. I was up an extra hour last night trying to figure it out, and then it was the first thing I started looking for again this morning. I just cannot belive that I cannot find the info anywhere.

BTW the part number to the above o-rings from McMaster Carr are 90 duro (Hard) Viton 0-rings. The hard o-rings do well in static applications like drain plugs. I am getting ready to place an order for a bunch of o-rings for scuba equipment so I thought I would get a pack of what I need for the bike and save on the shipping.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Phil

Last edited by skdvr; 04-11-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just go to the HD dealer, tell them what bike you have and get the right O-rings. No need turning something easy and cheap into a project.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default O Ring

All you need is to buy one and from there you can match it from your collection.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:30 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by XL50#674
Just go to the HD dealer, tell them what bike you have and get the right O-rings. No need turning something easy and cheap into a project.
What he said.....I bought a bag of them...should last until 2053 when I am 100...then I'll have the dealer change my oil because I won't be able to bend over.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:57 AM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member

I matched mine at Checker Auto, seems like they were 35 cents apiece.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:14 AM
skdvr
Tourer

I did buy one from the dealer before I changed my oil. The o-ring that was on the drain plug still looked good so I just reused it and kept the one I bought. I am comparing that one to o-rings that I have it just does not match up. That is why I am just guessing that it is a 010 but that it is a poorly made cheap one that is not exactly in spec. When I match it up to my 010's from McMaster Carr it is just slightly bigger. I just hate buying them from the dealer for $1 when I can buy 100 of them for $7. Its not like you go through them every day, I Know. But, I would rather spend $7 on 100 of them and between a few buddies you could have a few years worth. Plus I use that size anyway...

When ever I get around to changing my oil again I am going to try the 010 unless I hear otherwise from someone that knows the correct size. I will post back if it works or not, but like I mentioned earlier it will be a while before I need an oil change.

Phil

Old 04-06-2011, 11:12 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

I work at my family's hydraulic shop and i just looked at our 2-010 o-rings i cant imagine a drain plug this small. the nominal dimensions of the -010 is 1/4 ID, 3/8 OD, and 1/16 cross section. on my '08, if i remember correctly, all three of my drain plugs are the same -015.

- buna-n (70 derometer) is a standard o-ring and has a high temperature rating of 250 f
- viton (90 derometer) is your higher temp o-ring good till 400 f

the standard o-ring will work for our application, while the viton would also work but is a bit overkill, IMO.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:09 PM
skdvr
Tourer

Originally Posted by shimmon
I work at my family's hydraulic shop and i just looked at our 2-010 o-rings i cant imagine a drain plug this small. the nominal dimensions of the -010 is 1/4 ID, 3/8 OD, and 1/16 cross section. on my '08, if i remember correctly, all three of my drain plugs are the same -015.

- buna-n (70 derometer) is a standard o-ring and has a high temperature rating of 250 f
- viton (90 derometer) is your higher temp o-ring good till 400 f

the standard o-ring will work for our application, while the viton would also work but is a bit overkill, IMO.
Thanks for taking the time to look... The drain plug on my 05 is smaller than newer bikes. I think that all plugs went to the same size in 07 but I am not sure about that. The size of the o-ring on the bigger plug (Engine and Tans on my bike) is a 013. I use Viton because that is what I use for scuba equipment. I would have no problem using a buna-n o-ring though. You can get the harder or softer duro in both Buna-n and Viton. For me personally I choose 90 duro for static o-rings and 60 duro for dynamic. Just because that is what I was told to do a long time ago. Not sure how true that is, but that is what I have been doing. You would know better than I. A hydraulic shop is the place to go for figuring out what o-ring goes where. Wish I was closer to you I would bring in the o-ring I got from the dealer and have you measure it.

Phil

Old 04-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts
Default Bump that

For want of a nail the war was lost. Buy the right part.

Originally Posted by XL50#674

Old 04-06-2011, 06:14 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,854 Likes on 2,554 Posts

My 05 has an"O" ring for the trans oil drain plug, for the engine oil drain plug but the primary drain plug is a pipe plug that does not use an "O" ring.

Quick Reply: Primary Drain Plus O-Ring