Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michigan's 42 year old helmet law may be repealed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:56 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kanelakos
"It's a personal liberty thing," added Rep. Richard LeBlanc.

I wonder if we can get the same argument for Seat belt laws.
Not a chance. That's a federal law.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:16 AM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They can repeal, or not repeal, all the helmet laws in every state, and it will make no difference to me. I've been wearing a helmet when riding since I began in 1971: my choice. I, frankly, don't care what anyone else does. It's their choice.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 AM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnT
They can repeal, or not repeal, all the helmet laws in every state, and it will make no difference to me. I've been wearing a helmet when riding since I began in 1971: my choice. I, frankly, don't care what anyone else does. It's their choice.
But that's the point: Some have a choice. I don't. My nanny-state took my choice away.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnT

They can repeal, or not repeal, all the helmet laws in every state, and it WILL matter to me. I've been wearing a helmet when riding since i moved to Michigan, NOT BY MY CHOICE. I, frankly, don't care what anyone else does. It SHOULD BE their choice.

It's good that you like wearing a helmet JohnT if that's your choice, but others don't really care what you do. We just want to make our own choice too.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In reading the artical, opponents to my freedom of choice always resort to the same old argument, which is that motorcyclists without helmets cost everybody more money. While this may or may not be the case, until the federal government is willing to ban alcohol and tobacco for the same reasons, please spare me the BS.

Michigan riders all need to review their insurance policies. In spite of paying into the MCCA, Progressive, for one, won't pay medical claims for single bike accident injuries.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 AM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by k&j eglide
In reading the artical, opponents to my freedom of choice always resort to the same old argument, which is that motorcyclists without helmets cost everybody more money. While this may or may not be the case, until the federal government is willing to ban alcohol and tobacco for the same reasons, please spare me the BS.
The best point I think I've ever read on this site!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:36 PM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
Not a chance. That's a federal law.

Incorrect. New Hampshire does not have a seat belt law. It is done state by state. There are some federal laws about seatbelts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_be..._United_States

Old 04-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by k&j eglide
Michigan riders all need to review their insurance policies. In spite of paying into the MCCA, Progressive, for one, won't pay medical claims for single bike accident injuries.
I think most policies are like this regardless of state - even auto policies. You have to buy personal injury protection, which is crazy expensive. If you have a PIP add-on then your insurer will pay for your medical expenses.

I'm not sure "Personal Injury Protection" is a universal term, but most insurers separate personal medical coverage from vehicle coverage.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:39 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

many of us in Michigan have been waiting a long,long time for this. Hope this is finally the year it happens.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tazzrider
It's about friggin time!!!! Now, if you really are concerned about bikers and want to reduce deaths/injuries, outlaw fuggin cell phone engulfed cagers!

Motorcycle safety, accident reduction, and lower insurance costs can only be achieved through car driver awareness programs, stricter enforcement of motorcyclist licensing and endorsement, and maintaining and supporting motorcycle rider’s training courses.

Thank You !

Quick Reply: Michigan's 42 year old helmet law may be repealed.