General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Lane Blow Job

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
This thread isn't what I was expecting.
+1, geez, next?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:30 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never left my lane over wind or wind gust. I have rode the sidewalls before over wind and gust. Makes for a long day and takes some of the fun out of the ride but that is the nature of the beast sometime.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:52 AM
mountainpharm
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HOG_0308
Thing I learned about that riding was not to over react and lean into the wind and let the bike ride it out.
+1

I won't say that I ever got comfortable with it...at best, I'd say I tolerated it.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Bigdaddy10
Advanced

Rode back to Tulsa from Arkansas yesterday with 40 mph gust and a steady 30 mph crosswind, occasionally would be moved about a foot.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:02 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.

The majority of responses confirmed my feelings that those who say they been blown all over the road to the extremes of several feet are either very inexperienced, unaware, or simply poor riders. Wind gusts don't simply appear out of nowhere - If it's windy and you are aware of the conditions you should be prepared for and rarely, if ever, be completely caught off guard by a strong gust.

I've ridden in 50+mph crosswind gusts and have never had a problem. It's actually kind of fun to do on occasion. And you guys from OK and TX I know what you mean. I've leaned into the wind for hundreds of miles passing through there.

A few posts mentioned wind combined with rain. Now that's a different story altogether. Anytime traction is reduced, such as with a wet road, the consequences and the skill required are multiplied .

Thanks again.

And I knew the title would suck (pun intended) a lot of you in LOL.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:16 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my old FZ1. Late in the afternoon and westbound on Interstate 10 west of Palm Springs, Ca. Blown all over the lane, but not out of my lane. Felt like I was getting blown off course by 7 of 8 feet, but it was probably only 3 feet at most. It was not much fun. My Road King dosen't seemed to be bothered as much by the wind. The extra 300 lbs probably helps.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:55 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member

Be sharp out there. By that, I mean look around at your surroundings. Observe the grass, trees, bushes, flags, dust, laundry on a line....anything that can be blown by the wind. See which way it is going. Trees usually show the prevailing wind direction. These all help you determine the wind direction and strength. It's not very often you can't get a clue from your surroundings about the wind direction or strength. Once you get this info, be sure to watch for where the wind can be funneled or diverted and set up in your lane accordingly.
I've been move a whole lane by gusts up to 60Mph while riding through mountainous areas on my FXSTC. My Road King doesn't move nearly as much.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:42 PM
jward
Tourer

1989, 2 miles north of Santa Rosa, Ca...blown across 3 lanes, BMW K100T...still get chills when I recall...no cars within 1/2 mile-thank you God.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Cheater
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Columbia gorge between Washington and Oregon is famous for it's wind (surfing). The wind is one thing but coming up on a tunnel has a pucker factor of about 8.5. The wind that you've been correcting for stops real quick and you know it's coming back when you hit the light at the end. Good times.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member

Was riding Saturday and got hit by quite a few gusts. Didn't change lanes but almost got blown over while stopped once and did notice a few times were riding down the road like this - \ . Wife's neck hurts today because the wind kept getting under her faceshield and blowing her head around. She finally hugged in close to me, turned her head and leaned against me. That helped her some.

Quick Reply: Two Lane Blow Job