General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Lane Blow Job

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:46 AM
hoofnhog
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Man, when I saw "two lane blow job" I got really excited....... I thought it was going to be about passenger input to the joystick....

Remember, "Passenger manipulation of joy stick, may effect ride quality"......

Now if you have a "two lane" 'ol lady on back, I'd say you got a keeper!!!!!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:01 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,871 Likes on 822 Posts

I've been moved a foot or so. Yesterday here in Tulsa the winds were pretty gusty at times. As previously mentioned, I try to position myself so I have all of my lane available if needed. I have noticed the Heritage seems to be affected more by crosswinds that my StreetBob was...

Old 04-04-2011, 09:04 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 516 Likes on 352 Posts

My bud said he used to get knocked around quite a bit on his Fatboy with the stock wheels

Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Sometimes I go out for a short ride around the NY area & end up in NJ, MA or CT. When I get home I tell my wife , "honey, it was the wind".

Old 04-04-2011, 09:15 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

quote=carlgrover;This thread isn't what I was expecting.

You're not alone on that Carl, that being said..........ummm,,,oh ya, I was on a twistie up north here in the adirondacks one day. I was running in the left wheel track against the center line when I came around a curve near one of the many lakes. A gust of wind hit me and sent me into the opposite lane. Only moved the bike laterally approx. 6' but still it was into the oncoming lane and I was on the Ultra. Thank the good lord there wasn't a vehicle there at that moment but ya it does happen, even on a heavy tourer.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:23 AM
mountainpharm
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last fall we took a ride up to the Amish Country where we essentially followed Tropical Storm Nicole up I-81. She blew through on 9/30/10 and we rode up the following day. Wind gusts were blowing west-to-east and still very strong from Staunton, VA until we got off I-81 in Winchester, VA. About 10 miles before we exited I-81, we rode in the slow lane as close to the dotted line as possible. Wind gusts would blow us across the slow lane to the yellow line. There was no way to prepare for it; it would hit the bike broadside and away we went. The wife didn't care for that at all and I wasn't terribly fond of it, either.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:23 AM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost always windy here in Ks.. Yesterday there were gusts up to sixty mph. When my Deuce is packed for camping, (sig pic), the rear wheel and all the gear form a sort of sail that can be problematic with strong cross winds. I have been moved about eighteen inches a few times but never blown from my lane, at least not by the wind.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:58 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A couple of years ago in CO, according to the weather report, we rode through hours of sustained 40+ MPH cross winds, broken up by 50+ MPH gusts. Tornado's touched down just a couple of hours ahead of where we were riding.

Basically we had to just lean (sometimes pretty hard) into the wind to keep the bike from being blown across the lane. After riding for a couple of hours, when you stopped for a break, it felt like you were walking leaned over because you were in that position for such a long time.

Was pretty windy all week, but really crazy for a couple of days. Made for a memorable trip.

Last edited by bigdaddy33; 04-04-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=carlgrover;8142251]This thread isn't what I was expecting.

Wasn't what I was expecting either...made me start reminiscing about my 150 mile commute to college with a friend (female) who needed a lift....naturally she returned the favor...a lift.

Actually haven't had serious wind issues and have driven coast to coast....but staying vigilant to the elements is what we do....self preservation!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Worst I've been in was last year. The wife and I went on a moonlight ride with the SD HOG chapter. We came out of the desert in Calexico and there were 60 MPH cross winds come from the west. Going up through the mountains down into Alpine. There were several times the wife and I went from the number two lanes into the number one lane and back before I could react to it. It was and has been the craziest riding conditions we have been in.

Thing I learned about that riding was not to over react and lean into the wind and let the bike ride it out. I was really scared at first but by the time we reached the bottom of the mountains on the other side, near Poway area, I was really comfortable with it.

980 pound 08 Ultra Classic scooter, 195 (me) 160 (OL) nearly 1400 pounds, blow all over the rode… yes it can and will happen…

Last edited by HOG_0308; 04-04-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Two Lane Blow Job