General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a bike shipped to you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My buddy bought one from Rossmeyer's in Daytona. Was delivered to his driveway by Keyboard transport. They have an ingenious pallet/rolling skid that the bike is tied down to. A series of cam mechanisms within the pallet enables it to be rolled and the rollers are folded up or down into the skid for mobility or stability. The skid was rolled to the back of the semi where it was placed onto a hydraulic tailgate and lowered to the ground. The skid was once again rolled onto the driveway where it was cammed down stable on the ground and the RG was untied and rolled off the skid and into the garage. Very smooth and effortless. Maybe a 7-8 minute procedure from the time the skid was unhooked from the tie point in the trailer until it was in the driveway. Very professinal and thorough driver also. 5 stars in my book.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:49 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BBBSS
I bought a used harley and had it transported by a private shipping company. He delivered to the large parking lot about a block from my house as his dodge dually and really long trailer wouldn't make the turns by my house. It was strapped down with blankets on it. He unstrapped it and rolled it off for me.
This was close to how mine was delivered. Only it arrived on a semi. Driver was very professional. By the time I got to the delivery spot, the bike was ready to roll down the ramp. Bought it in KC & had it shipped to VA.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:02 PM
karjar
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies guys. Silly question, how do they get it off those pallets? Ride it off?

Old 04-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Mysanity2
Advanced

Originally Posted by teedubya
My buddy bought one from Rossmeyer's in Daytona. Was delivered to his driveway by Keyboard transport. They have an ingenious pallet/rolling skid that the bike is tied down to. A series of cam mechanisms within the pallet enables it to be rolled and the rollers are folded up or down into the skid for mobility or stability. The skid was rolled to the back of the semi where it was placed onto a hydraulic tailgate and lowered to the ground. The skid was once again rolled onto the driveway where it was cammed down stable on the ground and the RG was untied and rolled off the skid and into the garage. Very smooth and effortless. Maybe a 7-8 minute procedure from the time the skid was unhooked from the tie point in the trailer until it was in the driveway. Very professinal and thorough driver also. 5 stars in my book.
Here's a pic of a bike I recently sold and had transported by Keyboard Transport. The bike arrived without a scratch on it. I would highly recommend them.

Attached Thumbnails Had a bike shipped to you?-keyboard.jpg  
Old 04-04-2011, 06:53 PM
karjar
Advanced

Thanks, that is quite the interesting pallet.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,875 Likes on 979 Posts

I shipped a bike from Columbus, Ohio to San Diego using Forward Air Freight back in 2008.

Sort of a pain in the ***...had to truck the bike to the drop off point in Columbus (all fuel drained from gas tank/battery disconnected), then strap the bike inside a completely enclosed metal crate (using my cargo straps), then lock each end of the metal crate with my Master Combo locks.

Delivery was very fast, and I was advised when I could pick up the bike at the San Diego warehouse. Had to go with a friend in a car (who brought tools and a can of gasoline) to help me unload the bike from the crate, and get it ready to ride.

Total cost was around $650, if I remember correctly. If I had to do it again, I'd probably use one of those truck transport companies that deliver to your home.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:51 PM
dynhd1
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought a atv out of state and it was about $ 100.00 cheaper to have it shipped to a place of business address rather than to my home. (residential)
I picked it up at the trucking transport terminal.