General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Replaced clutch cable now no worky

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 03:38 PM
lostsstsol
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Replaced clutch cable now no worky

So i just added 12" bars to my 2003 low rider. Everything went pretty smoothly until now. I have the new clutch cable installed and no matter how many times i readjust everything the bike will lurch with clutch depressed while trying to start. Or if I dont start it and just try to pull clutch lever and push bike back or forward it doesnt disengage gears. Ive tried adjusting the clutch pack, and Ive reopened the clutch cable cover and checked for what seems to be proper movement. With the cover open i can easily move lever back and forth with the "ramp" or the actuator whatever you call it. It also does press the clutch pack outward when pulling clutch lever but it is still catchy. What am I doing wrong?? This is the last step before I can take her out!!

Thanks Guys

Old 04-03-2011, 04:30 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,140 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Totally collapse the adjuster on the cable. Open the derby and loosen the locknut on the clutch pack. Turn the adjuster screw in until you feel resistance and back it off slightly. Do this about 3 times so you get the feel of the resistance when it bottoms out. Once you are confident that you know what the resistance feels like of it bottoming out, do it one more time and then back it off 1/2 turn. Tighten the locknut. Then work the clutch lever 3 times to reseat the ball and ramp assembly. The tighten the cable adjuster so that you have 1/16 - 1/8" free play. I use a nickel to put in between the perch and ferrule for a width comparison.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:40 PM
lostsstsol
Cruiser

Ive tried that about 50 times now haha. Lets talk about Bottoming out just for the hell of it. Maybe I have a different idea of it compared the the moco. I turn in the adjuster screw until I feel the slightest bit of drag. Once I feel that I back off approx a half turn. Should I be turning adjuster screw in tighter than that?

Old 04-03-2011, 05:28 PM
dynamac
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure you put the ramp assembly together properly. I had that problem when I installed an easy pull in mine. Once I put the assembly together properly it only took five minutes to adjust.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,685 Likes on 3,119 Posts

Originally Posted by lostsstsol
Ive tried that about 50 times now haha. Lets talk about Bottoming out just for the hell of it. Maybe I have a different idea of it compared the the moco. I turn in the adjuster screw until I feel the slightest bit of drag. Once I feel that I back off approx a half turn. Should I be turning adjuster screw in tighter than that?
"Bottoming out" means exactly that, no " slightest bit of drag" stuff. When the adjuster STOPS dead three times in the same position, back out 1/2 turn.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:41 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy the service & parts manuals.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:20 PM
lostsstsol
Cruiser

ok we got it! there was no problem at all really. we re-did all adjustments from the ramp to the clutch pack to the cable play. made sure we got everything right, ensured the bike was in neutral and started it up. we let it run in neutral for about a min and then everything just kinda fell into place lol. we were guessing that when we drained the tranny all the fluid kinda dripped down and dried out all the plates and then when we started the bike it all got sloshed back around. who knows it works now! that's all the matters! and yes lo-rider i agree, gotta buy the book! thanks for your help guys much appreciated as always!