General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The riding season where you are?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 01:06 PM
zird00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The riding season where you are?

Okay so I am getting ready to go on the job market. I will be finishing my degree next May and there is a long drawn out process in my field for applying for a job. I can move pretty much anywhere in the country because of availability I just have to land the spot.

Anyhow, I am from the south and understand what the "riding season" is here. One VERY important consideration for me is the "riding season" in other parts of the country, since I will probably move out of the south. So I am turning to you guys for your input on this.

If you are willing please tell me where you are and how long the riding season is (when it becomes consistently comfortable to ride or whatever definition you use). Also, any other motorcycle-related information about the area that might be useful is appreciated.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:10 PM
drew4jan
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Year round out here in Arizona!!

Old 04-03-2011, 01:13 PM
oneloudz71
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Comfortable" is a relative term. What is comfortable for you could be two months ater what is comfortable for someone from up north. I am in Iowa and I would say the true riding season is from mid april untill the end of october. I am baseing this on being able to get up and ride to work in the morning and then home at night without freezing your nuts off. I have only been starting to hear bikes for about the last 2-3 weeks. So far, we have only had one or two days that it has hit 60*, and many bikers will tell you that it is still too early because they want to see another good rain or two to wash the rest of the salt off the roads that they use in the winter. Don't know what field you are in but in todays economy I would be more concerned with getting a job so I could afford a bike rather than where that job might be and how long the season is going to be.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:27 PM
71FLH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drew4jan
Year round out here in Arizona!!
Yep, that's what I was going to say. Until your used to it the summers could slow you down a little.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:07 PM
427Dave
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In Florida we ride year round.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:08 PM
zird00
Tourer

Originally Posted by 71FLH
Yep, that's what I was going to say. Until your used to it the summers could slow you down a little.
Actually the heat doesn't bother me too much. I am living in Alabama right now and during the summer time it is like a jungle with high heat and even higher humidity. It is the lack of heat that bothers me.

Don't know what field you are in but in todays economy I would be more concerned with getting a job so I could afford a bike rather than where that job might be and how long the season is going to be.
I am actually pretty fortunate to be in higher education. While state governments are cutting back funding (even to universities) the recession didn't hit schools too badly.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:28 PM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

Really depends what you want to put up with.

Here in Wisconsin, I ride up to mid novemeber, plan to get it out of storage last weekend in april or beginning of may. So 6 months of riding/year. If I had a fairing and windshield to keep the wind off me I might ride more in the colder weather, maybe a month later and a month sooner.

However, I go past Waukesha Engine plant in town and there's bikes parked out there year round. The only times I don't see bikes parked out there is when there is ice/snow on the roads.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:57 PM
oneloudz71
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zird00
I am actually pretty fortunate to be in higher education. While state governments are cutting back funding (even to universities) the recession didn't hit schools too badly.

Yeah, it funny how they still have people fooled into thinking that just an education will still get you somewhere! I agree, you seem to be in a solid field!

Old 04-03-2011, 03:33 PM
SCFLHX
Cruiser

You can ride about 9 months a year in SC if your looking for mild to warm weather. 30's and 40's in the winter allow riding the other 3 months if you don't mind those temperatures. You already know about high humidity, it's the killer. Less humid climates are more comfortable for riding.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:04 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

So Cal here. What's this "riding season" you speak of?

Seriously, when I was kid growing up in NYC my folks bought me a Lionel train set for Christmas in the 1950s. When Jan 1st came they told me I had "to put it up" until next Christmas. So at 9 years old I learned all I needed to know about seasons! LOL

If you aren't politically crippled by the thought of living in California (which is stupid as we have every aspect of American life here from red neck to hippie) you'll realize you can ride every day and also why the Beach Boys never wrote a song about New Jersey LOL . . .

Quick Reply: The riding season where you are?