General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The riding season where you are?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 05:24 PM
zird00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NickD
So Cal here. What's this "riding season" you speak of?

Seriously, when I was kid growing up in NYC my folks bought me a Lionel train set for Christmas in the 1950s. When Jan 1st came they told me I had "to put it up" until next Christmas. So at 9 years old I learned all I needed to know about seasons! LOL

If you aren't politically crippled by the thought of living in California (which is stupid as we have every aspect of American life here from red neck to hippie) you'll realize you can ride every day and also why the Beach Boys never wrote a song about New Jersey LOL . . .

The only concern I have about California (that I don't have about any where else) is emissions. I bought my bike in Kentucky and don't plan on adding a whole bunch of emissions junk to it. I honestly don't know how that works out in California. In Louisville, KY I know people are required to get an annual emissions test in order to get their tags. Fail it and you have to pay a big fat fine. Is California similar? From the looks of your bike (and this is a compliment) I bet they could work out of the deficit on your paycheck!

Old 04-03-2011, 05:30 PM
AFHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't move to Colorado Springs... Was 80 degrees yesterday, and its snowing today. Really annoying! Lots of friendly motorcycle riders however...

Old 04-03-2011, 05:48 PM
skygoddess
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 427Dave
In Florida we ride year round.
I'm gonna have to second this statement. Our riding season consist of t-shirt or leathers weather, but all year long we ride!!

Old 04-03-2011, 05:55 PM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep! Florida has pretty nice weather but some boring roads! Lived in Tennessee for a couple years and it has some great riding but did get a bit nippy at times! Maybe check out Hawaii!

Old 04-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,097 Likes on 3,648 Posts

I guess you will have to decide what you want...Cost of living, urban/rural??? salaries...Close to home or not??? I love the south, i ride year round in eastern NC and love it...Moved here form Canada...I putup with the extreme heat for a few months, it's worth it.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:57 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in the high desert of Arizona there is about 8 weeks over a 3 month period I ride less, but the warm weather is never gone long and never in one big stretch. The older I get the more I appreciate the sun on old bones.

In Indiana I rode 8 months consistently but the wife only 6. There were a few years even in Indy I rode at least once every month. Most years however December - February is no go and March was often "iffy."

Old 04-03-2011, 08:06 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eastern Oklahoma/Western Arkansas:

Riding seasons:

Typical "all around" road riding season is from sometime in March to sometime in November. Then hop on dirt bikes and ride almost all winter long. (Except for a few really cold days.)

Road riding: There will be some days during the winter that a chilly ride can be done. Seldom have prolonged snow/ice issues to deal with.

Cost of living:

Much lower than upper-end states. Very reasonable housing/land prices IF you stay away from the "rich man's land", i.e. fancy estates up in some areas of the mountains.

Terrain:

The Ozark Mountains in the north part of western Arkansas/eastern Oklahoma, the Ouachita Mountains in the centra part of southwest Arkansas/southeast Oklahoma.

Good luck!

Old 04-03-2011, 08:17 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

No smog testing or visual inspections in CA. Go figure. Usually we leed the way when it comes to that crap. I think if you have a few hundred miles on your bike you can register it here but don't quote me on that.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Vins
Club Member

Alaska...usually March to late October/early November. However, we just got snow a couple of days ago and I still haven't been out. Hindered a bit getting the bike back together, but it'll be on the road next weekend.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:13 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

You don't want to move out of the South. Nobody wants to move out of the South. You don't want to wind up someplace where every breast is covered up by 3 sweaters and a jacket 5 months of the year do you?

What's your degree in? Gotta be something in Dixie for you.

Quick Reply: The riding season where you are?