General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the heck is this bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:30 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It should match the stud nut that holds your air cleaner cover on...

Old 04-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Ratkiller
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brave93
I took my air cleaner off and this bolt (pictured) was in the air cleaner. This is the first time I've disassembled this since I bought the bike last June. It is about 1.5 inches long and the "nut" is part of the bolt (immovable). Anyone know?

It looks like a breather bolt. There are 2 of them. The rubber breather hoses go over the end and the other end goes into the Air filter.
Ratkiller

Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 AM
SCFLHX
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
That's a pocket bolt. Any project you complete will have one (1) bolt left over. You put it in your pocket.

It appears the previous owner of the bike did some work on the breather and was unaware of this important final step.
Dang Night Train, I feel dumber than a bag of hammers for not knowing that nugget information.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:35 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

that doesn't look like a breather bolt. the breather bolts have a round nipple on the end for the hose to slip onto.

i would just be glad it didn't get shook into the throttle blade holding the thottle wide open or worse finding its way to the intake valve..

PS.. on big jobs we've always said you didn't do the job right unless you have parts left over.. manufactures always use way to many bolts, nuts, screws and clips to a simple job.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:49 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

A good mechanic always has parts leftover!

Old 04-03-2011, 10:18 AM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

is this on a sporty? if so, (and thats what it looks like) there are two of them that bolt thru the backing plate to the heads

Old 04-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,992 Likes on 4,183 Posts

I believe like kdeuce its a breather bolt that someone used to convert to a one sided system. (normal factory breather bolts have a hole in them. Is you bike stock? It could have been kicked up off the road and came through back side of breather. If it had gone through intake that would have been bad. I use to keep an extra $50. in there just in case I run out of gas. When it happened I opened it up and found out I had already spent it. Last person that worked on it may have been looking for more business. Who worked on it last?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-03-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Brave93
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last person to work on it would have been the dealer who performed the 5k maintenance before I purchased it. Someone asked if it is a sportster and it's not... It's a softail springer 05. The bolt does not have a hole thru it so it's not a breather bolt. The parts man at dealer has no idea what it was but said it was good it didn't get sucked up into intake. Couldn't have come from the road because it was inside the filter. Weird.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:50 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

it looks like a ground stud...check your ground wires...

Old 04-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,992 Likes on 4,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Brave93
The last person to work on it would have been the dealer who performed the 5k maintenance before I purchased it. .
Got my curiosity up. Was it in the filter or just the plastic back cover. my old back cover is hanging on the wall and there is plenty of room for that to bounce in. However if it was in the filter itself your dealer was trying to generate some work or it was an accident and just fell in the filter while on the mechanic's bench. Either one would have me looking for another dealer since it's one of the things in life that you can not accuse someone of unless you see them do it.

Quick Reply: What the heck is this bolt?