General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Jaunt On Our Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:15 PM
rockhard69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the Ultra family!!!! Enjoy the ride and have fun with your new ride.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 PM
LAMing
Road Master

Hi All!

Been gone all day... (work and then family related)... just got back... thought I'd drop in and read up on this thread...

Thanks for all the congrats and well wishing. I knew this was the right decision, it was just tough for me to finally let go of the Deuce. (If we were rich...)

Looking forward to getting settled-in on it and comfortable.

During our ride yesterday, I passed on a couple of short side excursions I wouldn't have hesitated to do had we been on the Deuce. (Short jaunts down a couple of dirt roads to historical sites I wanted to see.)

Yup: Weight and uncertainty being the culprits for the "no-go" decisions. (i.e. Turning the thing around.) After a few thousand miles, I got to where I could sling the Deuce around about like an overgrown dirt bike. (Got reprimanded by my riding friend for power sliding some gravel curves while at Sturgis last year!) Don't think I'll have that amount of confidence on this monster for a while!!

As for why the wife is better looking than me: I lucked out!

We've got to pay the excise tax within the month (in Oklahoma that is sizable) as well as some other expenditures, but we're hoping to recover enough by the end of May to take a week long ride to Chama, NM, and over to the Silverton, CO area.

First week of September we're planning to do the Black Hills of SD, via the prairies of western KS, the front range of the Colorado Rockies... and loop in the backside of the Black Hills.

In the meantime, we'll do Saturday/weekend trips as we can to get more miles under my belt.

Yesterday, as we were tooling along at a merry 70+ MPH finishing up the final leg of our little jaunt (OH, and I had the cruise control set... leaning back against the backrest... feet propped up on the hiway pegs... sort of like a recliner )... the wife leaned up and said, "wonder if we've done our last vacation in our cage?"

I like the way she's thinking now!

Old 04-03-2011, 08:09 PM
marines267
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That funny my 2010 ultra classic manual says dry weight is 850 lbs

Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 PM
LAMing
Road Master

Fill it with fluids and 6 gallons of fuel, pack the Tour Pack with necessities... add a 129 lb passenger w/10 lbs of attire/gear on. It's quite a "culture shock" from a dirt bike or 650 lb Deuce.

BTW: Regarding that choice of colors...

"Vivid Black" is called that because the way the bug guts stand out vividly on it! Going to be a booger to keep it clean.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:15 PM
marines267
Tourer

Laming what city you live in there in Oklahoma. I try to travel to Oklahoma every year to see my mom and sister maybe we could have a beer

Old 04-03-2011, 08:22 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by marines267
That funny my 2010 ultra classic manual says dry weight is 850 lbs
Dont let him B/S you these are heavy beast, but a great riding beast, it take's awhile to get used to the extra weight, I think what you did bypassing those place's yesterday was the right thing to do when you feel comfortable with it you can go back!!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:04 PM
norgepa
Road Captain

Hey LAMing - Great Post:
I will have my first tourer experience this FALL on an Ultra traveling Sedona and GrandCanyon. The information you have provided is great insight into differences from a cruiser. Enjoy the Ride

Attached Thumbnails First Jaunt On Our Ultra-mvc-054s.jpg   First Jaunt On Our Ultra-visitedstatesmap.jpg  
Old 04-03-2011, 09:09 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just getting used to mine also. Fantastic bike.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:19 PM
LAMing
Road Master

marines267:

I live on the eastern side in "Poteau". (Pronounced "POE toe".)

I don't do beer... but would be happy to try to meet up with you sometime and eat some BBQ and swig some cola wit'cha!

hockey8787:

Yup... it was one of those rare moments I exercised better judgment!

norgepa:

Glad to have helped in some way! A cruiser bike is a GREAT fun bike to play on locally. Loved the lightweight and snappy power of my previous Deuce. But believe me, the two bike concepts (cruiser/touring) are WORLDS apart in regards to comforts and the attendant weight that comes with the touring type bike. I will adjust in good time!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Mendota Kid
Intermediate

Congrats! We love our 2010 Ultra...been riding since 1981 and still loving every minute! Ride safe and don't move your bike around the garage while wearing flip flops OR in your bare feet! :-)

Quick Reply: First Jaunt On Our Ultra