General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From "Download" at Dealership to SERT with Dyno, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 PM
djbiker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhern08
While on this subject- Do you really need SERT to upgrade an air filter? Ive got Reinharts on mine but would like to change out the filter to an SE or K&N. I just cant see how a small thing like a air filter/breather would alter anything.. Seems to me the ratio of air will be read on startup and automatically be adjusted by the onboard settings. Anyone else??
Generally if you are only changing pipes, there is very little change in the airflow in the engine, however if you add a more free flowing exhaust and a high flow air filter then you have greatly increased the air flow and the standard system just isn't designed to compensate that much. It really only compensates for mixture when starting and then for altitude changes while riding. That much air flow difference is more than the factory settings can handle. Add a fuel manager like a power commander or other brand and download the correct map or have it dyno tuned. Mine was downloaded into the Power Commander and it runs like a bat, no popping on deceleration, and I get 48 MPG. Can't complain, but I did have to add the PC.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed pipes and went to the SE Breather, had the dealer do the Stage one download. The bike ran better, but, the stage one didn't do anything for the "nut roastin" heat. Went to another dealer and he said do the SERT with a Dyno tune. Did it, and all that engine heat is gone and the bike runs great. Best thing I've done to my bike!!! With the SERT if I want to "cam" it or punch it out ,all I do is take my SERT and after they make the mods, they make another dyno run, retune it and give me back my SERT with the new map!

WHY,THERE'S NOTHING TO IT,
A MERE CHILD COULD DO IT!!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:51 PM
mhern08
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the good info guys!! Guess I'll pony up in the next week or so and get this done. WIll advise!!