General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From "Download" at Dealership to SERT with Dyno, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 AM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djbiker
Only thought is that it does turn over several times before it starts when it's cold and if the battery is a little low, it won't fire at all.
Sure sign of a battery on it's last legs. Mine was doing the same thing, but after I installed a fresh battery, the bike now starts immediatly when cold.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 AM
CADguy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased my 06 Road Glide from a private party. He put the SE Air cleaner and SE Slip ons on. He also put on the SERT but didn't do anything past that. The bike had 11,600 miles on it when I purchased it from him in Sept of '09.

Last year was my first full year on the bike. Ran good, but thought it could run better. Spoke with Jason Kellis at Faribault HD, and he asked if I had the injectors replaced. Apparently, HD put out bikes in 06 with a three hole injectors. Thus, causing some fueling issues. After about six months, they switched back to the five hole injectors.

This past winter, I had the bike in to get new injectors and dyno tune. Picking it up today, so I'll see how much better it runs. Sheet said 79.99 hp and 83.55 ftlb of torque.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by xcelr8
And as a sidenote;
The $149 download is designed for those owners who are installing the SE a/c and SE mufflers only. The (adjustable) SERT is designed for those owners planning on mods beyond Stage 1.
I think you "hit it on the head". I guess I just really need to decide whether or not I will be going any farther with performance.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And as a sidenote;
The $149 download is designed for those owners who are installing the SE a/c and SE mufflers only. The (adjustable) SERT is designed for those owners planning on mods beyond Stage 1.
SERT is also for those that use something different than the SE mufflers for Stage 1.

When we first put stage 1 on my wife's bike we did the download. SE AC and V&H Bigshots. It ran like crap. Installed SESPT and tune on dyno, it runs a lot better. She couldn't believe how much of a difference it made!

Old 04-06-2011, 11:25 AM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozoneman
SERT is also for those that use something different than the SE mufflers for Stage 1.

When we first put stage 1 on my wife's bike we did the download. SE AC and V&H Bigshots. It ran like crap. Installed SESPT and tune on dyno, it runs a lot better. She couldn't believe how much of a difference it made!
My point, exactly. The download is not designed to work with V&H Bigshots. Any programmable tuner would definatly work better.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Yup....bike ran fine, or so I thought. Turned out my rear cylinder was running very lean. Dyno fixed that and gave me 10 more HP. Bike is running noticeably better now.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:50 AM
mhern08
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

While on this subject- Do you really need SERT to upgrade an air filter? Ive got Reinharts on mine but would like to change out the filter to an SE or K&N. I just cant see how a small thing like a air filter/breather would alter anything.. Seems to me the ratio of air will be read on startup and automatically be adjusted by the onboard settings. Anyone else??

Old 04-07-2011, 09:12 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes it will be well worth it! The download does not do much at all, but a good tune with a SERT will do alot and you will pick up some nice HP. My XL50 1200 with a set of open pipes, SE AC, SE 10mm wires and a PC III with a dyno tune picked up like 15 RW HP over stock and it feels like more. My bike has the HD download in it as well-like them when I got it.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 PM
mhern08
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Spoke to a sales lizard at my dealer today. He said "if you put any after market exhaust on your bike you MUST change air filter and havea new download from the dealer". And then he offered to do mine for $149.00 and thirty minutes. So now im convinced it is a package thingy.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:26 PM
djbiker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure sign of a battery on it's last legs. Mine was doing the same thing, but after I installed a fresh battery, the bike now starts immediatly when cold.
Well, not sure about the battery issue, maybe... but it has been that way since new in 07 and still on the same battery. It may quit tomorrow though, lol!

Quick Reply: From "Download" at Dealership to SERT with Dyno, is it worth it?