General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From "Download" at Dealership to SERT with Dyno, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:06 AM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found that the "key" to a perfect Stage 1 is to use all HD parts. SE pipes, ac, and download. Did this on my 05 Road King, my sons 05 Road King, and my 07 FLHTC. Runs perfect from sea level to 5,000 feet, no popping or any other unusual quirks. Gas milage at 60-65 is in the low 40's. No reason to try to outsmart the MOCO with trial and error engineering.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:24 AM
WoodsHog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oct1949
Didn't do a download, thought it was a waste of money....

did stg1 and sert and dyno at the 1k service,,, ran and started flawless..

to make a realy noticebale difference U have to do some cams...

do all the above with a change to syn oil in all three hole and then U'll notce a big difference in power and Ur motor will run 25-30 * cooler and a lot stronger....
I agree.Cams and possibly a 103 kit are next for me.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:41 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

When I bought my Road Glide,I had the dealer do a stage 1 and SERT with download.
Bike ran great.I did not want to pay for a dyno.
Wasnt till I did a 95" I had it on a dyno.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 AM
SCFLHX
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a stage 1 with SE filter and nightstick slip on. The bike was getting much hotter than stock and was popping on deceleration. I did the SERT and stage 1 download to try to correct the issues. The bike runs cooler and does not pop on deceleration anymore, but did increase the RPM's and lower the fuel mileage by dumping more fuel in. The bike still loads up some on deceleration due to unspent fuel, mild low pop occasionally, but better overall. If I had to do it again I would look at other avenues to change the settings, maybe a fuel pack, PCV or XIED, there are better options with better results. Check the settings installed, you can improve the settings on the fuel pack, standard setup is just a starting point.Take your time and read through the forum before you purchase.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:26 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
When I bought my Road Glide,I had the dealer do a stage 1 and SERT with download.
Bike ran great.I did not want to pay for a dyno.
Wasnt till I did a 95" I had it on a dyno.
So, you spent $150 on the stage 1 download AND then spent $400 +/- on the SERT at the same time?

Wow...

Old 04-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. Half of me says to just leave well enough alone, but the perfectionist in me wants to know that the engine is running as well as it can be and not getting any hotter than it has to.

I'll probably go with cams in the fall, so maybe do the SERT and Dyno then like some of you have done.

Of course, that means I'll have to run all summer thinking that maybe power or heat could be improved.

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Old 04-03-2011, 09:10 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
So, you spent $150 on the stage 1 download AND then spent $400 +/- on the SERT at the same time?

Wow...
No.
The SERT was set up with a stg. 1 MAP,no download fee.
If I knew what I know now,I would not have bought the SERT at that time.
However,glad it was on when the 95" was done.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:07 AM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by xcelr8
I have found that the "key" to a perfect Stage 1 is to use all HD parts. SE pipes, ac, and download. Did this on my 05 Road King, my sons 05 Road King, and my 07 FLHTC. Runs perfect from sea level to 5,000 feet, no popping or any other unusual quirks. Gas milage at 60-65 is in the low 40's. No reason to try to outsmart the MOCO with trial and error engineering.

That makes a lot of sense to me. I did the Stage 1 on my Heritage with the SE breather, Harley race tuner, and V&H mufflers. I had the dealer dyno it 3 times before they got the popping on deceleration to go away for the most part. They couldn't stop it completely and they said a little popping was normal. The dyno charts they gave me showed a 3 hp gain which is nothing and my gas mileage went down which really sucked when your gas tank is only 4 gallons to begin with.

Do your homework before you go into this. I haven't done anything to my RGU since the 103 seems to run really well, but if I do I'll think twice before trying to outsmart the MOCO again.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:24 AM
djbiker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading this thread, I had thought about taking mine in for a Dyno check, but now think I will leave well enough alone. I have the SE breather kit, Vance and Hines Big Shots Staggered, and a Power Commander. I have loads of power, no popping on deceleration, and getting 48 MPG. Only thought is that it does turn over several times before it starts when it's cold and if the battery is a little low, it won't fire at all. Sounds like my best bet is to keep a hot battery and enjoy this bad boy!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:24 AM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And as a sidenote;
The $149 download is designed for those owners who are installing the SE a/c and SE mufflers only. The (adjustable) SERT is designed for those owners planning on mods beyond Stage 1.

Quick Reply: From "Download" at Dealership to SERT with Dyno, is it worth it?