General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You should have bought it here

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:10 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My dealer doesn't care if you bring in your own parts.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 PM
HDHog1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During these lean days, one would think the dealer would be happy for any work they can get. I know that is usually not the case. I guess it depends on where you are and how greedy the dealer is. Given the cost and problems which oft times occur, and the warranty rhetoric you will enduor from dealers, Do the work yourself.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:17 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default parts

Originally Posted by knewt5
It's nothing like that at all. By your reasoning I couldn't buy a Kuyrakyn part and pay my HD dealers mechanic $80/hr to put it on? With all the parts avaialble out there the dealer can not be expected to carry every one of them. With all the implied threats of warranty voiding for every little thing you do to the bike I preferr to have the dealership do certain things.

On the other hand I don't expect the dealership to stand behind a part I bought somewhere else. It would be nice if any HD Dealership stood by every HD part regardless of where it was purchased
its not the same your dealer sold you the part. mine was one they did not sell. they always cut up samson said there pipes were trash. bottom line they make less on after market parts

Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default parts

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
The Dealerships, while being Harley Davidson, are separate individually owned entities...Each Parts Mgr. is responsible for inventory and making money. Unless they wish to be "nice" and spend time with your part that they didn't make ANY money on,reimbursed from Harley, still no money for them. Short of possibly making a loyal customer out of you, a no win for them.Unfortunately business is business.

JMHO

Mark
yes business is business and labor at $80.00 an hour is also business no matter where you got the part. no one expects them to honor the warranty just the labor. if a dealer is that well off that he can push away work good luck to him. i have used independent shops and have always supplied my own parts and they never had the attitude of the harley dealer bottom line is if you can save some money why throw it away. If i pay for a service all i want is that service. I have no love for my local dealer the only way you can judge them is when there is a problem not when all goes well. If it comes down to you or them paying its you. when your under warranty they will fix just about any thing because they are paid to. but if an issue comes up where its you or them paying that's the line and you are going to pay or have a battle on your hands.any one who has been riding for a while has a horror story about my local dealer. we all cant be wrong and i have not used them in the past four years .