General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You should have bought it here

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 02:13 PM
SodFather
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garand
There is a difference between being cheap and being smart. I don't throw away money to make a technician happy about his job.
have to agree on this. Although I will buy if I need instant gradification with my purchase. I mean who wants to wait 2wks to do something that you could've done in an hr. But my big purchases go to online sources unless they match the deal(and I try to let the local shop do just this, cause 1day they may not be there).

Old 03-30-2011, 04:45 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kanelakos
Could be. An analogy would be taking your own beef to McDonald's and asking them to cook it for you.

not the same..

Old 03-30-2011, 04:49 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Unfortunately the Dealer or Independent can't avoid the warranty/liability. Even written disclaimers on the Repair Order will not get the shop off the hook. If they install the part, no matter what or where the source, they are responsible for it and anything else that may be involved in the job. Should the part fail; any damages (real and often imagined) that are associated with that failure will be included. I've been called as an expert witness in a number of cases like this over the years . . . and it's the same result every time. The way the law looks at it, the shop is the expert, and the consumer is not. If the shop couldn't stand behind the part, they should never have installed it.

what state is that... we would never warranty a part we didn't sell... how could we.. as i stated in the other thread.. we will only guarantee the correct installation of it.. any warranty issue lies with the purchaser and the place of purchase..

so if you do a side job for a friend and install a seat for him and in two months the seat splits you have to warranty the seat... i don't think so...

Old 03-30-2011, 04:58 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

example... a few months back i had to overhaul the transmission in a vehicle for a person under extended warranty coverage... the guy asked us if we would put in a high performance clutch for him while the trans was out... sure.. no warranty on clutch though...

two months later it got towed back in and wouldn't move.. he broke the pressure plate and clutch hub along with smoking the clutch.. anyways... there was no warranty at all from us or the aftermarket company.. the guy came in taking pic's saying the flywheel(also installed) was defective, the hub was defective etc... the idiot just didn't know how to drive.. he looked for us to cover the labor.. nope... it was all on him.. the service advisor printed the customer copy of the last repair.. it was clearly stated on the customers copy.

"Aftermarket Clutch assembly and flywheel installed at owners request. No parts or labor warranty for installed parts."

Old 03-30-2011, 05:42 PM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by knewt5
It's nothing like that at all. By your reasoning I couldn't buy a Kuyrakyn part and pay my HD dealers mechanic $80/hr to put it on? With all the parts avaialble out there the dealer can not be expected to carry every one of them. With all the implied threats of warranty voiding for every little thing you do to the bike I preferr to have the dealership do certain things.

On the other hand I don't expect the dealership to stand behind a part I bought somewhere else. It would be nice if any HD Dealership stood by every HD part regardless of where it was purchased
Who ever said that you "couldn't"? Who said you could not talk
a hamburger flipper into cooking your meat?

MD' has beef in stock
HD has mufflers in stock

I bring in beef... mds cooks it
I bring in mufflers... HD installs it.

I did not borrow any tools or spatulas!

I think my analogy was not bad... could I have used a better one? Sure but at 8:30 am, that was the best I could do.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:49 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why would you be apologetic when you are paying the guy for his work? I could understand if the indy was your friend and you hung out at the shop all the time. But, if you are paying him to work, he should be happy he is making money.

Originally Posted by Stash905
I would never bring parts I purchased to be installed. Once I did it only as a last resort. I was installing heat shields on my pipes and hurt my back (nothing new). I had then brought my bike to the indy shop I deal with to get about a grand worth of work done and apologetically asked him to install them. He appreciated the fact that I was embarrassed and apologized and did it gladly. Other than that one time, I would never do it. As said, it is part of how they make their money and then there is the liability issues.

Being cheap will always bite you in the ***.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:23 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I've had two parts go bad,, One was the dial type Oil dipstick, the glass cracked, took it to our closest dealer and was told nothing could be done.
Then went to the dealer where I bought the bike and they just changed it out.

Second was the turn/stop/running plug for the rear lights, burned out, 4 months old. Didn't try the closest one just went to where I bought it again and they said its supposed to be warranted for 90 days, Elc stuff... but they again just swapped it out.

IMO thats jsut good policy, considering the son and I have spent over $8k in parts from them and 4 new bikes in the last 4yrs.

B

Last edited by oct1949; 03-31-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added
Old 03-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I ordered the Road King High Bar and cruise control from one of two dealers in town. When the parts came in, the dealer couldn't do the installation before the date I was leaving on a tour. I took the new bar and the cruise control across town to the 2nd dealer. He was glad to put them on for me, did so before I left on tour, and charged me less for the job than quoted by the first dealer.

I figure a service job is a service job, and a reputable dealer would like to make the money for doing it regardless of where the parts came from.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:34 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Now something like that is just good business. They know you are into HD bikes and next time I bet you will check out their shop when you need something new.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:58 PM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,069 Likes on 701 Posts

I called the dealer and told them I wanted to buy and have them Install the V/H Big Radius pipes I want. They could not beat Dennis Kirk's price. I asked if this was going to be a problem. He said " if you think I'm going to hold it against you that you didnt buy the pipes from us, I wont. We do this all the time."

Quick Reply: You should have bought it here